Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Animal tracking frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a directional drilling cosultant, I use underground telecommunications all day long drilling driectional oil wells.

We use a transmitter that operates at 3- 9 hz, and puts out roughly 1- 40 watts.
About 25 meters of the bottom of the drill string is one half the antenna, and the rest of the drill string on top, is the other half of the antenna.
There is a gap sub, which isolates the drill string and makes the current travel through the fromation around the drill string.
The transmitter bolts to the gap sub, that's how the power gets to the 2 sections.
Usually 5 watts is enough to recieve a signal from about 2000 meters, 1000 of which is depth, and then 1000 meters directional.
The signal is recieved with a detection box, with band pass filters, and a DAQ module, and special software.
It takes about 30 seconds to recieve a packet that tells us inclination, tool face, azimuth, etc so we can drill where we want.

Thanks for that parkland its very interesting ,, mine doesnt seem to be working very well at the moment , still messing around with it

bernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back