Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arm disarm numeric keypad project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerod2099

I have a cheap x-10 home security system that uses keychain remotes to arm and disarm it. I would like to be able to use a numeric keypad to arm and disarm the system. X-10 thinks it is a stupid idea so they don't make one. I have a little experience with electronics repair on pcb's so I know what I want is possible and relatively "easy" to make. I should be able to make/buy a keypad controller. I think I can use one of the remotes inside the keypad. What I picture is a controller that after typing in a certain code you could hit enter/disarm and it would trip a relay that would connect the circuit on the keychain remote and the remote would function. The easy part would be making a circuit that would activate a relay to make the remote function. The part I would have the most trouble with is making the keypad work with a code. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? It would be great if someone made a programmable keypad that had outputs that I could tie to the remote but I doubt I am that lucky.

Hi Jerod,

I have a little experience with electronics repair on pcb's so I know what I want is possible and relatively "easy" to make.
Yes, it's possible. It's easy if you know how to do it (like many things). Personally, I would use a microcontroller, as for me, it's the simplest, cheapest and most flexible method. There are of course ways to do it using e.g. cmos gates and counters that will allow you scan the keypad & decode the presses, etc. You say you're willing to buy one; well, I'm sure there would be people on this forum willing to write you a program (for a microcontroller) for a token amount.

You might want to mention your location, price range, power requirements etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back