Awkward request but some might be able to help: nuke demo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sram

Okay, this will be viewed as a stupid post by many maybe, but I'll just say it. I'm doing a 40 minutes lecture on WMD, and I'd like my lecture to include some interactive content. I'll include photos and videos, but I want more. This would have been much easier of the topic chosen was related to electricity/electronics/ but now I'm stuck with this topic.

Anything will do. It is probably easier to demo the nasty nature of some chemicals, but I want to demo some mini nuke bomb. Crazy isn't it??

Maybe they sell something to demonstrate it. I'll be willing to buy it if it is not expensive.

Help me out please,

Thanks.

Here is a demo of a mini nuke bomb (5kt).

I use those to fight terrorists all over the world. -

Attachments

• nuke-01.gif
    78.6 KB · Views: 160
  • nuke-02.gif
    47.9 KB · Views: 150
  • nuke-03.gif
    20.3 KB · Views: 142
Games ah! Thanks.

I know it is impossible to be real, but something that shows the effect in comparison to the size of the explosive will be good enough! You know, to cause the same effect of a nuclear bomb, you need much more grams of TNT.

Sram,

I think the best advice you could get on this topic, other than resorting to the Gallagher method of explosive demonstration, would be to abandon your idea of creating a mini-nuke. Creating a controlled and small nuclear fission or fusion reaction is a topic well out of the realm of this board and probably out of the realm of anybody not possessing some sort of security clearance. You could easily go to the library and with no small effort master the theory behind nuclear reactions and weapons but thankfully, the practical knowledge and experience needed to actually construct such a device is not easily obtained. Even if you somehow got your hands on some nuclear material and then somehow managed not to irradiate yourself during the construction, I would expect your door to be broken down by some angry men in suits and dark sunglasses well before you were ready for your presentation. I understand that you want to demonstrate the destructive power of nuclear weapons and give the audience some basis for comparison but I'm sorry, that's probably just not possible without actually seeing one go off. There is a lot of stock footage floating around of nuclear tests performed during the 50s and 60s that are pretty scary to watch. I think some of them even involved live animals like pigs and dogs, etc. I'd spend my effort looking for those. A picture is worth a thousand words and if you blow up your audience, they can't appreciate the gravity of your message.

Understood. Thanks for your guidance. Let me put it some other way: Is there anything I can show to the audience that is not a video/photo?

Let me add:

Come on folks, I'm just a student in some institute, and I want to get a good grade for my presentation. That's all there is to it.

Mmmm...

A table top nuclear explosion! Kinky! I like it!

If you get this to work, please be sure to make a video and post it on YouTube so that we all can see it.

Be sure to wear dark glasses when you do this, the flash can make your eyes go funny otherwise.

JimB

Understood. Thanks for your guidance. Let me put it some other way: Is there anything I can show to the audience that is not a video/photo?

Nothing that I can think of that would really give the audience a proper appreciation.

Umm I think Sram just wants a 'wow factor' to add to his presentation, I severely doubt he wanted at actual explosive device to demonstrate that would obviously not be practical or sane. Just something he could demonstrate in an auditorium that would give a vivid impression of the scale/energies involved rather than a boring video. The simplest thing I can think of is to use baloons, the audiance would notice if you could blow up a baloon that took up a decent amount of space on the stage, then you can compare that to a smaller baloon in hand to give them some perspective. Finding a super large baloon might be a little tricky. You could blow up a huge bundle of little baloons and net them all together to get the same scale, fill every 10th one or so with helium to make it a little lighter, just not all of them as that many baloons would generate quiet a bit of upwards force.

**broken link removed**
A few dozen of those might give you the right impression, right next to a like 6 inch one for comparison.

Enough of the ridiculing posts please. I admit that I didn't know how to ask for help.

Kudos to you for knowing what exactly I want. I thank you very much, and I hope I can thank you some way other than typing in a forum.

Last edited:
The baloon idea actually appeals to me because a bunch of 6 foot balloons would be pretty large, and you could pop them for dramatic effect =) Expensive though they're like 20 bucks a pop so it'd get expensive fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…