Basic 16F84

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for my basic question

Q> what is ICSP?
In Circuit Serial Programming

Means that you connect a 5-wire cable to the target circuit to reprogram it in place, rather than pry the PIC out and take the chip to the programmer.

I was under this assumption as well but it seems that later pics shouldn't have MCLR connected direct to Vdd.

From the 16F876A data sheet,

Mike.

Figure 14-5 in the datasheet gives an upper bound for the value for one of the resistors and a lower bound for the value of the other, but doesn't seem to indicate what the capacitor value should be. Any ideas? or have I just not looked carefully enough?

I think setting a resistor <40k is neccesary between MCLR and vdd now.

I searched the datasheet of 16F84A as david said a capacitor must be included and also i found out that another resistor and diode is needed.

Q> What is the value of C and diode that i must used?

Attachments

• MCLR.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 258
The diode and second resistor isn't really necessary. Just put a 22K or 33K (or thereabouts) resistor between MCLR and VDD.

A 0.1uF capacitor between VDD and VSS is a good idea. Place it as close to the chip as possible.

Last edited:
Q> What is the value of C and diode that i must used?

The description under the data sheet illustration you attached indicates R is anything <40K, (10K is typical, I believe), and R1 100<R>1K. The cap is usually .o1 uF, and the diode can be a small signal, such as 1N4001.

I just starting learning assembly a few days ago, and have already filed several working programs. I suggest you start very simply, and build from there.

A very good tutorial source is **broken link removed** You may not have the PICs he uses, but don't let that stop you. They are available as samples from Microchip.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I have question how do i know the value of capacitor?

I mean is there is a way i can calculate it.

If there is a way please show me.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…