Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bipolar 5 phase 10 wires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have 8 berger lahr stepperr motors and i want to employ'em in a cnc.

I can't find a solution to drive'em. I'm planing to use a microcontroller to calculate step pulses from the 2 bits output from the pc the problem is how to drive the phases in an in-expensive way. They are 5 phase bipolar steppers. Someone used the same motors https://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8575 i sent him an email, but i didn't get a reply. I think he used a uC and some L298.

What do you suggest ?

As I remember the optimum way to drive the BL 5 phase is alternating sequences of three phases on and two phases on. You have to look at the internal construction to figure out which is which.

Last edited:
The motors have 10 wires, then i'm totally free how i want to wire them.

Berger lahr 566/50
0.72 deg
Lw=0.75
4 ohm

what kind of components should i use to drive'em

The motors have 10 wires, then i'm totally free how i want to wire them.

Berger lahr 566/50
0.72 deg
Lw=0.75
4 ohm

what kind of components should i use to drive'em
Don't think so. Some sequences will work and some won't. For any combination of phases which are energized there is only one combination that will move the shaft clockwise smoothly and one combination that will move it counterclockwise smoothly.

A Half H-Bridge on each wire makes ten of them.

OR check out the following article from oriental
**broken link removed**

They have a pentagonal connection scheme that only requires 5 Half H-Bridges

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, it explains much stuff mainly the difference between the 2 an 5 phase.

Does it mean that if i use the pentagon connection, i would need only 4 L298 to drive 3 motors ?? using a uC to generate the sequence of course.

Hi there,

Sounds right to me, with one half bridge left over.

You can find a simple sequence by pulsing each phase and find the combo
that makes the motor rotate in one direction. You can then look for
various phase combos that give you half stepping if you like. You can
then take it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back