Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Blinking Output Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bee-rad

I have a vision, I just need some help in getting there. My experience is focused more on the 12V wiring end of things, but I am able to understand conceptual and assembly of elementary electronics.

What I want to do is have a 12V input into a device that outputs a constant +12V signal for the duration of the cycle. The second output is to have a 'delayed ON' of 1 sec. The 3rd output is to have a 'delayed ON' of 2 seconds. All three outputs would remain on for 1 second and then the cycle would start over.

Why? Well I want to use add a trick tailight to the underside of my supermoto. The idea is to mount 3 flexible LED tail light strips much like these stacked ontop of one another:
**broken link removed**

Then when the brake is applied the strips of LEDs will cycle in a basic pattern. The motorcycles max output voltage to the timer would be 15V. The timer must output this voltage as the LED strips have built-in resistors to drop the voltage. I do not know the current demands of the switched side, but since its LED, I don't think it will be high but perhaps a transistor or relay may be needed.

Where do I start?

I tried to make timing diagram from you description but I think it's not 100% correct. So please correct it so that we all know exactly what you want.

Output 1 is on for the whole cycle brake on to brake off
Output 2 has a delay of 1 sec but it's unclear to me if it remain on for 1 second or until output 3 goes off.
Output 3 has a delay of 2 sec and remain on for only 1 sec.

bee-rad said:
Where do I start?
First make a new timing diagram according to your needs.

Attachments

• BrakeLight.jpg
    BrakeLight.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 205
Yes a timing diagram is a good idea. I am not sure which pattern would work best. Its one of those things where I feel that I need to see it in action to decide on whether output 1 pulses or stays constant. I chose a random number of 0.5 seconds to show 'Concept 2', but perhaps one much shorter time would be most ideal. I would imagine adding this feature makes the circuit 10X harder?

Attachments

• Brake light Timing.JPG
    Brake light Timing.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 206
From a conceptual (and possibly legal?) point of view I'd think that being a brake light you'd want to make sure you had at least one of the LED strips on at all times while you're braking.

Have you considered simply hooking up a momentary switch to each LED strip to help visualize the patterns? It's the quickest and easiest way I can think of to see what they'll look like.

I should note that this isn't to replace the standard taillight, but to soley compliment the existing one when doing stoppies. I drew the lights underneath the tail section of this supermoto (Overtop of the exhaust basically). Is it possible to have a dip switch that could change between the 2 types of flash patterns?

Attachments

• Stoppie.jpg
    Stoppie.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 516
OK, so you want something like the following?

Notes: - means "an off light", O means "an on light", and Time0 is when the brake is not applied. The circuit cycles through Time1, Time2, and Time3 repeatedly when the brake is applied.

Code:
| Time0 | Time1 | Time2 | Time 3 |
+=======+=======+=======+========+
|  ---  |  OOO  |  OOO  |  OOO   |
|  ---  |  ---  |  OOO  |  OOO   |
|  ---  |  ---  |  ---  |  OOO   |
+=======+=======+=======+========+

Is this what you're after?

Torben

Use a small PIC or other microcontroller to turn the lights on and off for you, then? You can add however many input switches you like to select between different blinking patterns.

u can use a 555 timer for that. make it generate a 1 sec pulse and give its output to the clock input of a sequence counter. thats it if i understood ur scenario correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back