Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bluetooth idea ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey
ok, down to the nitty gritty, I am not looking for completed circuit diagrams, I do not expect you to do all the work for me, and I’m not a ******* (lol, always a good thing not to be).
What I am looking for if possible, is some general help, ie Pointing me in the right direction to find the appropriate information, links if possible to relevant, personal experience etc.

Ok, my idea is that I will eventually have a device, that you can Bluetooth a music file to (hoping to have some sort of Bluetooth menu, with a few options, ie a running timer for how long the file is to be played for, ie. 5,10, 20 seconds etc, whether to delete the current file, upload a new file, volume level (1,2 or 3), etc) and that can play the file/snippet of file when a set condition is met (probably will be a jumper shorted etc).
I want to make 2 types of this, 1 which is portable, obviously can be bigger, but can take a couple of C batteries, the other which is powered via 110-240v mains, to which would require a PS, but may look into that aspect a little later.

So, the most obvious things that are required are;
• Bluetooth control somehow, was thinking zigbee. Had heard some good reviews about them.
• Flash memory for 1 song (thinking maybe a 8mb chip)
• Audio converter ?? to read the information from flash and convert to actual song
• Timing circuit (probably a 555 crystal or something)
• Small amplifier and speaker
• And main cpu for controlling all functions in right order.
• Possibly power supply from either 110 or 240, circuit switched so not a big and bulky unit.

I’m trying to keep the size of this unit quite small, for convenience sake, when I say small, about 7cm wide, 3-4 deep and 15-20 tall.

Probably a tough project. Better to buy one like the excellent Squeezebox
Bluetooth and Zigbee are too slow for all but the most compressed / lossy audio.
**broken link removed**

You sure about that blueroom? According to Wikipedia Bluetooth 1.2 has a transmission speed of 720kbits/s. That's enough to do modest quality audio. Not quite high fidelity, but just hop online and listen to some 90KB/s streams and judge for yourself.

Last edited:
lol, sorry guys i think you may have mis interpreted, the bluetooth is only required so you can update the song on the device when your ready to change it, ie. when you get bored of it, and want another song on there. Which means it's only a data transfer as apposed to live streaming. And we've all used bluetooth at one time or another to transfer songs between phones, so it defiantly can be done.

The idea is to be able to change the song on the device without actually having to connect via a cable. then the device to play it via a speaker which is in the unit, so thats why i need a small amp in it.

In that case almost any wireless transfer method would work even IR. But it would be slow and you'd need a device that's hosting the songs nearby with communications software on both devices.
It would take some skill to do this, and you wont need a 555.

Not as complicated as you might think. IRDA uses a directly modulated IR LED for data transfers. That can be as simple as one diode connected to the UART of a micro controller, likewise a receiver can be a photo transistor connected directly to another UART. False detections are eliminated using pre-amble packets and CRC or other error detection methods.

lol, i dont want to come off sounding rude, but i'm not looking for a IR technology, I wish to do this via bluetooth, just for the convenience that it can be done from anywhere between 10-100m, not line of sight and and such, the unit could be somewhere out of sight and out of mind so to speak, and also, the ease of bluetoothing from a mobile phone.

i figure this will require some sort of bluetooth chip of somesort, which is compatible with the protocols used in the bluetooth technology associated with mobile phones

Depends on the device class, there are three.
Class 1 devices are 100meters
Class 2 are 10
Class 3 are 1

It's covered in the Wikipedia entry.

Class 1 transcievers are supposed to be able to get better range out of class 2 transmitters because of their better receive sensativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back