Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Check my assumption on this circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuper

Hi all

I'm "designing" the attached circuit. I'm measuring the voltage at point A from ground. If I have the pot turned up giving a total of 6K to the base, I measure about 22 mv. If I turn the pot down all the way, leaving about 1K into the base, I measure about 15mv.

The transistor is a regular NPN.

What I am trying to accomplish is a poor man's "voltage controlled resistor", specifcally the 100K across the Collector/Emitter junction of the transistor. I've attempted to create a voltage divider with the additional 100K resistor to V+, hence the reading at point A.

I'm not 100% sure what I should expect to measure at point A. Seeing the variable voltage indicates to me that its working in general but I was hoping for a second pair of eyes to double check my assumptions.

I got this idea from reading a synth schmatic over at:

http://satcom.tonnarelli.com/files/wp20/WP-20b.bmp

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG00276-20110604-1309.jpg
    IMG00276-20110604-1309.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 146
You are all screwed-up in your thinking.:)

You have a 1k resistor in parallel with 100k, the result is fractionally less that 1k.

With a resistance between 1k and 6k feeding the base, you transistor is saturated, it is turned hard on.

Reconnect your circuit as I have shown below and have a further play, you may find that the collector voltage varies quite a bit more.

JimB

Attachments

• Odd circuit 1.PNG
    Odd circuit 1.PNG
    9 KB · Views: 147
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back