Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

chewing counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ediblecircuit

Hi, I am working on this chewing counter project but I am a beginner in electronics/ programming and I need your help.

First of all, I don't know which sensor I should use. :(

The timer will have chewing sensor, swallowing sensor, PIC microcontroler, LED display, and a buzzer. With this counter, I want to preset the chewing time for each bite - for example 30 chewing a bite, then as I chew, the number will be conted down on the display. If I swallow the food before the number reaches zero, it makes a big noise. If I swallow after the timer counts down to 0, it will simply go back up to the preset number.

For the sensing part, EMG maybe ideal and I found a schematics for signal amplifier but someone told me that filtering the noizes will be very diffucalt. Now I am thinking of using a potentiometer or switch to read the motion of the jaw. If I place a little lever switch on the jaw mascle, the switch clicks when the stiffened muscle pops out as I bite hard. I think this may work better than potensiometer becaue it can differenciate the chewing from talking. But when I actually chewed a cracker, the switch did not work very reliably. Probably because when I chew naturaly the jaw mascle does not become stiff enough for the switch to pick up.

I have no idea what sensor I sould use for sensing swallowing. Some kind of sensor that can read the motion of Adam's apple? (Though it would be gender specific.) Do you know good sensors that would work for this application or solution for EMG?

Thanks

dear edible..
if you are willing to wear a mask ,to acomplish this , anything is possible..

there are medical sensors that can detect muscle contractions..so a mask might not be necessary..

Why on earth would you want to do this???

I know it's an odd project. Actually I am making this for my art performance. So it's not really for practical use. What kind of medical sensor you are tolking about? They seem very expensive. I know they made a practical chewing counter in Japan but it's costs $5000!

Well I for one think it is a fascinating little project,
have you thought of asking a fast food chain for some
Research & Development funding :wink:

took some finding and have no idea how well this circuit will work
**broken link removed**

Google for "Myoelectric sensors "

though a more simple affair of a mask or chinstrap connected
to a switch might well be more simple to implement

tansis said:
Well I for one think it is a fascinating little project,
have you thought of asking a fast food chain for some
Research & Development funding :wink:

took some finding and have no idea how well this circuit will work
**broken link removed**

Google for "Myoelectric sensors "

though a more simple affair of a mask or chinstrap connected
to a switch might well be more simple to implement
a chin strap is a great idea..
oh BTW how do you want to display the number of chews..ie
on computer screen , LCD , LED..??

I wish if I could get that kind of funding. :lol:

But you actually hit it right on the mark, I am planning to "chew" some fish sandwiches and fries (I don't eat meat except for seafood) at a MacDonald's with this device.

Thanks for the link for the electromyography. I don't know if that would work either or if I can make it work since I am a beginner...

Right, chinstrap and springs with some kind of switch may work. A mask with some kind of mechanical contraption would be a way to go.

But I'm not sure if similer idea would work for swallowing sensor on neck
though. Neck is soft and flexible, it has to accomodate the movement and
turn of the head. Avoiding jaw clicking the switch on the neck and chocking myself would be the issue. Probably I'll have to fix my neck and head like someone who just had a car accident. Is there less cumbersome way???

I most likly use 7 segmented LED displays. I may use incandecent displays
because they seem to be brighter than LEDs.

ediblecircuit said:
I wish if I could get that kind of funding. :lol:

But you actually hit it right on the mark, I am planning to "chew" some fish sandwiches and fries (I don't eat meat except for seafood) at a MacDonald's with this device.

Thanks for the link for the electromyography. I don't know if that would work either or if I can make it work since I am a beginner...

Right, chinstrap and springs with some kind of switch may work. A mask with some kind of mechanical contraption would be a way to go.

But I'm not sure if similer idea would work for swallowing sensor on neck
though. Neck is soft and flexible, it has to accomodate the movement and
turn of the head. Avoiding jaw clicking the switch on the neck and chocking myself would be the issue. Probably I'll have to fix my neck and head like someone who just had a car accident. Is there less cumbersome way???

I most likly use 7 segmented LED displays. I may use incandecent displays
because they seem to be brighter than LEDs.
couldent you count the number of swallows with a hand device..a clicker or something..

Powerbook EMG Amplifier looks promissing... Do you think it works without powerbook? I mean can I simply connect it to ADC pin of my PIC 16f877?

A more comfortable solution may achieved by
using the circuit for a "sound activated switch"
and replacing the microphone with a piezo disc.

"piezo disc", you mean the copper disc inside of the piezo buzzer? Do you think ceramic mic would work for this? I guess if I am going to use sound activated switch, the output of it would be connected to IO line on my PIC like a normal switch...right?

accelerometer idea is interesting too. maybe I should try glueing this on chin strap.

I really appreciate your ideas and info. E.

couldent you count the number of swallows with a hand device..a clicker or something..

well, I want to make it all automatic because the point of this project is not the counting but making an annoying machine.

Re: piezo disc , yes. these little discs are
very sensitive to mechanical distortion

I wonder if you could put a microphone in the ear? Most of the sounds of chewing and swallowing conduct right up there loudly, we're just used to it and don't notice it.

Annoying machine, huh? Sounds like you're on the right track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back