Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clamp meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

123mmm

Hello! I have a Uni-t UT210E clamp meter. I saw that when measuring AC or DC current, the value on the display modifies when the wire inside the clamp is in different positions.
This type of meter is using a Hall effect sensor to measure the current, both AC and DC. Also in the manual it says that the wire needs to be in the geometrical center of the clamp when measuring AC or DC current.
Please have a look at the attached image. I mentioned the differences on the image.

It is normal for this type of meter to have different readings ?

Attachments

• 637213_1.jpg
    637213_1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 235
Welcome to ETO!
The meter senses the magnetic field strength produced by current in the wire. That strength decreases with distance from the wire; hence the reading variation with position. What you found is normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back