Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cold Cathode "dual" inverter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinofx

I have a kit which powers 2, 4" cold-cathode tubes. I'm guessing the bulbs are wired in parallel with each other, allowing a single inverter could power both. Does anyone know if the tubes must be driven separately? Sounds unlikely for a $5 kit :)

What are the chances that the inverter could:
a) power *three* 4" tubes (can it supply that much current?)
b) power one 4" and one 6" tube? (does the 6" require 50% higher voltage?)

I don't really have room in my PC for 2 inverter boxes. Thanks.

I don't know what a cold cathode tube is, but if it is like a flourescent tube, they have to be driven seperatly or in series. An inverter designed for 2 tubes is not likely to drive 3 or 4, but what the h- what have you got to loose by trying?

dinofx said:
I have a kit which powers 2, 4" cold-cathode tubes. I'm guessing the bulbs are wired in parallel with each other, allowing a single inverter could power both. Does anyone know if the tubes must be driven separately? Sounds unlikely for a $5 kit :)

What are the chances that the inverter could:
a) power *three* 4" tubes (can it supply that much current?)
b) power one 4" and one 6" tube? (does the 6" require 50% higher voltage?)

a) how should we know? But the CCFL inverters capable of driving 2 tubes that I know of put a separate ballast cap in series with each tube. There won't be a third cap.
b) probably not. It's hard to say though. I suspect it won't work or won't work well due to the voltage issue.

Based on what you all are saying, it sounds like the issue is "igniting" the mercury vapor. I guess it takes a much higher voltage to ignite the tube, which is why they have to be driven separately or in series (forces them to ignite together?).

This looks like a DIY kit for a single tube.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back