Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer hardware questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello !

so i am starting to accumulate electronics stuff and i have now got like 4 old pcs and i opened them

I mean like the main parts i found are the

(1) power supply
(2) mother board
(3) hard drive
(4) Cd disc and old magnetic disc reader things

Not quite sure what i should do with them....

For the power supply are they all interchange for all pc? Can i use one power supply from one pc to power other pcs? ( So far i have just been scraping the components)

As for the mother board , there is like the cpu,ram and some good fans as well as microchips and capacitors and all those kinds of stuff, i was just wondering if it would be good to sell the mother board or just scrap it for components as well.

For the hard drives and disc reader things what should i do with them?( can they be sold?)

I have seen many people try to make a better pc of their own by combining parts to save some cash but these pc i think are pretty old any advice on what i could do with them other then taking them apart?

For the power supply are they all interchange for all pc? Can i use one power supply from one pc to power other pcs? ( So far i have just been scraping the components)

Within limits yes. Home computer power supplies are designed and built to specifications so they follow a form factor. For example where the PSU connects to the motherboard using a 20 or 24 pin connector the pin functions are the same, they conform to a specification. The specification gets periodic updates. This is an example of an ATX form factor specification. There are exceptions but for the most part home computer power supplies conform to the specification.

Years ago I would save and salvage parts, anymore I just throw the stuff away. I had pies of the stuff which was junk and taking up space. I don't see any market for the stuff here in the US.

Ron

If you don't want to upgrade the newest ( nice easy project) then its the recycle bin, there used to be charity's that put them right and gave to 3 world , don't think that happens any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back