Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

What are these can they be removed or are they a part of a service pack ?

Attachments

• Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Screen shot.JPG
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Screen shot.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 312
You better should not. They're part of service pack offering runtime support for few windows applications. You'll get an error while running few of'em if this stuff is removed..

Now WTF is this doing here? absolutly nothing.

You better should not. They're part of service pack offering runtime support for few windows applications. You'll get an error while running few of'em if this stuff is removed..

I get so tired of Microsh.......t products. They are so nefarious with their programs, can't even provide support information on the products they download. I looked at the support information they can't even let the customer know what WTF their using these GD things for,

How much GD time will it take to give me something anything, (You know what I mean) I guess it's the only thing on the planet keeping IT people working (Dumb shits like me). I'm glad I have ETO otherwise this sh........t would have been gone and would be installing another operating system.

Thanks, kv

Edit: Ok, I looked at this in my prgrams" Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 " I didn't install it and it's not a working program?

Attachments

• Visual Studio 2005 Screenshot.JPG
    Visual Studio 2005 Screenshot.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
These provide runtime support for certain applications wich were built using MS visual C++. You shouldn't remove them.

Why would these be in my programs for me to see then ? I don't understand. I noticed they are part of Visual studio 8.

Ran chkdsk recommended by ETO Member

Screenshot

Attachments

• Check disk Log file.JPG
    Check disk Log file.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 278
Why would these be in my programs for me to see then ? I don't understand. I noticed they are part of Visual studio 8.

Exo has already explained - they are runtime support files, used by some program (or programs) on your computer. Many programs don't compile down to a single EXE file, they need a number of support files as well - these are some of those.

Exo has already explained - they are runtime support files, used by some program (or programs) on your computer. Many programs don't compile down to a single EXE file, they need a number of support files as well - these are some of those.

Well I guess that's what bothers me. I'm "AD" (Attention Deficit) cause my problems start when I see it. My first thought was to just add and extension to the .exe and see what happened. If it went to hell in a hand basket I could return it to the .exe

Fluence said:
That VB is commonly used for Microsoft Office, like Word, Excel, etc.

You all save me from myself. ( Words of Wisdom ) Now and then I stray from the pack. But, not this time.

We'll see how long this last's with my kids spending time on Facebook and all the other garbage out there.

Last edited:
It's funny you post this question today. Early this morning I was having problems installing Vegas 9 and ended up removing all those re distributable visual c++ programs, in this case the installer was trying to install c++ 2005 and I already had 2008 on there. For some strange reason the installer was too stupid to realize it, I had to rip out the newer versions, install the old which came bungled with Vegas and then patch it. I'm sure there are many, many other programs that use it also. Think of it like Java, you need a JVM installed before you can run java code.

I'm with you though, sometimes MS drives me crazy, that's why I dual boot my laptop and use Fedora (linux) 90% of the time.

We deal all the time with this nobody really complains though; I guess we all think it's just part of the torment of an operating system. We all remember the good old day's, when everything was almost a bit by bit ordeal.

I don't want to go back. I guess things are alright. Why should I expect so much anyway.

I did enjoy openning cmd. hahahaha

I was even in the registry. Can't do that in Vista.

Have they take it away from the Windows 7 environment?

Last edited:
It's funny you post this question today. Early this morning I was having problems installing Vegas 9 and ended up removing all those re distributable visual c++ programs, in this case the installer was trying to install c++ 2005 and I already had 2008 on there. For some strange reason the installer was too stupid to realize it, I had to rip out the newer versions, install the old which came bungled with Vegas and then patch it. I'm sure there are many, many other programs that use it also. Think of it like Java, you need a JVM installed before you can run java code.

I'm with you though, sometimes MS drives me crazy, that's why I dual boot my laptop and use Fedora (linux) 90% of the time.

That's a bit weak don't you think ? Coming down on microsoft because of some runtime support files, wich could be seen as "dependencies" - and then glorifying linux, wich in itself is dependency hell. Not that i don't like linux, but linux is one enourmous pile of dependencies upon dependencies so bashing ms for some dll files aint realy fair.

Last edited:
Well first off, didn't think I was "gloryifying" linux. I do unix admin for my day job and if I was a wintel guy, of course i'd be running windows. I'm more efficient using linux, spend most of my time in a command window. Linux can be dependency hell and it really was 10 years ago... it really required alot of patience and aspirin (for bashing your head on the wall), today not so much. Not that you can't get into problems with 3rd party repos, but your mileage may vary. It's not for everyone and if you need your hand held using a computer I wouldn't recommend it.

I guess I didn't articulate what had happened yesterday and after re-reading my post it would appear that i'm blaming MS for Sony's crappy installer.

The files do pretty much as mentioned:

The Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2010 installed.

That being also true of 2005 & 2008 as well as earlier versions. Programs developed in Visual C++ as well as Visual Basic rely on the runtime files files being installed on the system running them.

The Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2010 installed.

This package installs runtime components of C Runtime (CRT), Standard C++, ATL, MFC, OpenMP and MSDIA libraries. For more information on supported ways of deployment for Visual C++ applications, click here.

The "Redistributable" simply means if I develop a program that depends on the files I can include a redistributable in the application.

Not sure what you mean here:

I did enjoy openning cmd. hahahaha

I was even in the registry. Can't do that in Vista.

Have they take it away from the Windows 7 environment?

As to the registry you can open and edit the registry in Vista and Windows 7. You don't even need a command (CMD) prompt window open.

START > Accessories > Run opens a run dialog box and you simply type in REGEDIT and hit Enter. You can also get there from a command prompt but it's an additional step. That assumes run as administrator if the UAC (User Account Control) is turned off. If the UAC (Windows Vista or Windows 7) is turned on then it's a matter of:

Start and in the "start search" type in CMD then Right Click on CMD.EXE and choose Run As Administrator from the options. That opens an elevated command prompt window.

Anyway, the registry editor functions are available in both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

Ron

As to the registry you can open and edit the registry in Vista and Windows 7. You don't even need a command (CMD) prompt window open.

START > Accessories > Run opens a run dialog box and you simply type in REGEDIT and hit Enter. You can also get there from a command prompt but it's an additional step. That assumes run as administrator if the UAC (User Account Control) is turned off. If the UAC (Windows Vista or Windows 7) is turned on then it's a matter of:

Start and in the "start search" type in CMD then Right Click on CMD.EXE and choose Run As Administrator from the options. That opens an elevated command prompt window.

Anyway, the registry editor functions are available in both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

Ron

I didn't know the registry was available in Vista? I'm going to have a talk with my IT guy's and ask them why I understood it that way. I stand corrected.

Thanks, Ron

gabeNC said:
Linux can be dependency hell and it really was 10 years ago... it really required alot of patience and aspirin (for bashing your head on the wall), today not so much. Not that you can't get into problems with 3rd party repos, but your mileage may vary. It's not for everyone and if you need your hand held using a computer I wouldn't recommend it.

I envy anyone who write code. I'm planning on doing a little more with it this yr just for fun.

When or if I have any linux probs maybe I can get some help hahahaha

Thanks, gabeNC

But, still if someone were to dual boot Linux for surfing maybe, wouldn't that seem better? A lot of my problem is that MS is exploited because it's MS. So many people on the planet that write code or other want to corrupt it. Which opens that next can of worms literally.

Last edited:
But, still if someone were to dual boot Linux for surfing maybe, wouldn't that seem better? A lot of my problem is that MS is exploited because it's MS. So many people on the planet that write code or other want to corrupt it. Which opens that next can of worms literally.

Many people dual boot between Linux and a Windows operating system, myself included. I happen to like the SUSE distro of Linux but to each their own. :)

Now the following is pretty much my take but if I were wanting to write malicious software to attack an operating system or penetrate an operating system I would target Microsoft. Why? Not because Microsoft is more vulnerable to attack or easier to attack but because I want to make a big splash in the pond. People who write malicious software do it mostly because they can and want to call attention to themselves. Why write software to attack a system most aren't using? Go for the gold! Don't screw with Linux or even Apple for that matter, go big! Linux and Apple can be compromised but I get a little drip ripple in the pond, I want a splash, a big splash! Thus I attack the Evil Empire.

Overall any argument as to which OS is better becomes a moot point. The best OS is the OS that works best for an end user and all end users have different needs and expectations.

Ron

At work I dual boot on my Mac. I have VM Ware but when ever I'm on the Windows side of things I have to use more RAM. Especially when I'm doing something with third party software to control AV systems.

I can't afford Mac at home so, I was going to see if one of my IT guys could look at my hardware and clone it as a Mac or just dual boot into lenox. Here at home I wouldn't be doing the stuff I do at work.

My question is do they have something like VM Ware for Linux. If so, I wouldn't be going from one system to the other. I could just get 2 monitors and have both.

Last edited:
My question is do they have something like VM Ware for Linux. If so, I wouldn't be going from one system to the other. I could just get 2 monitors and have both.

VMware makes free products you can use, vmserver or now you can create images with vmplayer which is what I use. IMO I think that vmware runs a little better with linux as the host, seems to manage the memory a little better. Even their flagship product ESX uses linux for the "engine". Another neat way to use vmware is to test config changes. My firewall at home is a Openbsd box running PF, snort, clamav and a proxy for the kids. I have a VM on my laptop to test config and firewall rules before I push it up. </sidebar>

If linux is something you may be interested in, install vmplayer on windows, then install linux in that. Use it for awhile and see if you really want to dual-boot your system. If that is too much trouble many distros make live CD's you can boot from and try but they are slow running off the optical drive.

I think what Killivolt was eluding to is orphan files and orphan programs that are questionable in necessity to begin with. As abscure as some files may appear, I agree that if you mess with them, you will certainly risk OS stability, if not crash the OS, period. As already suggested, leave the VB C++ stuff alone. It's not a resource hog, and with today's large capacity HDDs, it's not an issue of memory space either. Just get on your PC and enjoy it without worrying about minor support files.

VMware makes free products you can use, vmserver or now you can create images with vmplayer which is what I use. IMO I think that vmware runs a little better with linux as the host, seems to manage the memory a little better. Even their flagship product ESX uses linux for the "engine". Another neat way to use vmware is to test config changes. My firewall at home is a Openbsd box running PF, snort, clamav and a proxy for the kids. I have a VM on my laptop to test config and firewall rules before I push it up. </sidebar>

If linux is something you may be interested in, install vmplayer on windows, then install linux in that. Use it for awhile and see if you really want to dual-boot your system. If that is too much trouble many distros make live CD's you can boot from and try but they are slow running off the optical drive.

Thanks, gabeNC.

I have an IT guy's who has been using a lot of linux stuff. I'm sure I will be able to get what ever I need from him. I have 2 80gig drives. ( What ever he doesn't understand about it I will bring up in the Forum.)
Also, soon I may be forced to use more PC stuff; my new boss is PC and so is my new director, they don't hate Mac but don't care for the prices of the products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back