Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the following is pretty much my take but if I were wanting to write malicious software to attack an operating system or penetrate an operating system I would target Microsoft. Why? Not because Microsoft is more vulnerable to attack or easier to attack but because I want to make a big splash in the pond. People who write malicious software do it mostly because they can and want to call attention to themselves. Why write software to attack a system most aren't using? Go for the gold! Don't screw with Linux or even Apple for that matter, go big! Linux and Apple can be compromised but I get a little drip ripple in the pond, I want a splash, a big splash! Thus I attack the Evil Empire.

Well, you're kinda right. Its not so much about making a "big splash" in regards to "calling attention to themselves" (though I am sure that is a part of it). Its more because the installed base is larger, and thus you have more computers compromised for your (or your organization's) purpose (read as: botnet), and that's directly related to money. So you want the number of computers infected to be as large as possible, and right now that is on Microsoft's software.

Interestingly, even though the base of Linux installs and Mac OS (ie, BSD) is rather larger, you don't see many (any?) viruses floating around. While only anecdotal, it does say something for the security of *nix vs that of Microsoft's OS; if the base of *nix grows larger, we may see something different, but there really hasn't been any real big virus scares on *nix since the Morris worm way back in the olden days. The few "proof of concept" viruses done under *nix typically required the user to first login/su to root, then run the code. Which is really a lot of the issue behind Microsoft's trouble - everything wants (and sometimes needs) root access to do anything (supposedly XP, then Vista, then 7 - ad nauseum - was supposed to plug this hole - I'll guess we'll see with 7, but I'm not holding my breath).

Finally - another thing which I am not sure you have noticed or not, but when there is a big virus/worm/exploit on the net, have you noticed how almost none of the media organizations every mention anything about it being a Microsoft Windows based attack? I mean, if a particular brand of automobile was dying constantly, or blowing up, or had something else happen to it to everyone, the media would be all over it like flies. Microsoft Windows has problems? No a big deal - just call it an "internet" or "computer" virus, and don't mention what brand of software it fouls up...

One would think people would get the hint (some would say some have, given the number of people flocking to Apple, I suppose)...

I'm going to "Linux" my Tower and use a Mac GUI. " My DSL Sucks!!!!!!!!"

So, I'm getting kicked of the NET every time someone answer's the phone.

I found this on a forum somewhere on the NET while searching for my problem.

Is this really the answer to my problem?

Solution:

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco NID (Network Interface Device). This is the place the telephone lines come into your home wiring, usually either in the basement or outside near the other utility connections. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand. The splitter I've used in the past is the Wilcom PS-36, it's good for any DSL/ADSL service worldwide.

Probably. That's the method I used from Day 1 of DSL. I have the world's worst internal wiring and what the telco tech said,"Pristine DSL".

Honestly, I hesitate to put any effort in this until the following is answered:
1. How many telco equipment locations (typically Jacks in use)
2. What equipment is in each location
3. How many filters? Where?
4. Describe wiring: e.g. 12 locations, mostly quad cable (thick solid wire); mix of star and home run, 4 prong and modular jacks including two bells. NID model is SNI 4600.
5. Wired/wireless? (general location of wireless router/access point) e.g. Center of basement

e.g.
Jack #1 (Kitchen - one filter)

jack #2 (BR#1: Alarm system, ans machine/phone combo); One filter for both devices

jack #3 (Home office: DSL modem: unfiltered, phone:filtered)

I had that same problem, everytime the phone ringed I would lose net access until the router stabilized. Turned out when I purchased a new answering machine I forgot to put the filter back on.

Well, you're kinda right. Its not so much about making a "big splash" in regards to "calling attention to themselves" (though I am sure that is a part of it). Its more because the installed base is larger, and thus you have more computers compromised for your (or your organization's) purpose (read as: botnet), and that's directly related to money. So you want the number of computers infected to be as large as possible, and right now that is on Microsoft's software.

It also has to do with the "quality" of the user base. Most linux users are computer enthousiasts wich have decent computer knowledge and just want to try linux out of there own free will. These people at least know the basics about computer security and don't do too many stupid things.
Windows however finds it way to even the biggest nutcase user, who does things like doubleclick the "songname.mp3.exe" file he just downloaded... That leads to problems indeed.

Most people i know know their way around computers, we're online all the time (mostly on windows) and we haven't had any virus problems for many years, just because they know when something is fishy and stay away from it.

There is something about DSL that you need to be aware of.

1. With the modem off, all lines work fine without filters.
2. Turning the modem on, generally will introduce a sort of white noise in the line.
3. The filter is just that; it allows DC and ring to be passed to the untiltered point and allows voice to be passed to the filtered point. Frequencies above the voice band are used for DSL.

4. Reliability issues come into play because:

1. The number of filters exceed 3 which increases the attenuation.
2. The use of non-twisted wires increase attenuation
3. Telephone wires running parallel <6" between power lines.
4. Cobwebs in jacks (not kidding)

So, to avoid some of these hassels. Use a splitter. These can be placed in the NID or inside of the home. Run the DSL portion of the splitter to the modem with as little cord as possible. Maintain twists to within a 1/2".

The router should be located centrally in the home. This allows good signal coverage. Router issues also need to be addressed by looking at the s/n ratio of the signal to pick the proper channel. Use the free program Netstumbler.

Look at some"line of sight" issues between where the antenna should be and obstructions. I have a large closet between my antenna and a location. It's so wierd, that placing a repeater, about 6' from where I sit using the laptop fixes reception issues. It also gives me greater coverage to the porch and the back yard.

I never do anything the way "your told to". I put the DSL modem within 6' of entering the house. The router is located somewhat centrally, but the AP (access point) is located dead center. That's because my AP the wireless portion) is "separate". My wireless router can, and did connect via dialup before I had DSL.

Do remember that if you do have multiple devices in the same room, to use only one filter for both devices, not one for each. Some people forget to put one on their modem in their computer.

So, keep the DSL signal a home run if possible without any dangling unterminated wires.

Simple/Solution

I had that same problem, everytime the phone ringed I would lose net access until the router stabilized. Turned out when I purchased a new answering machine I forgot to put the filter back on.

I just found it. The only Phone in the house with no filter on it.

Apparently ( why is still unknown ) one of the Kids moved it from the Phone to the router. And also, explains why it was working before and suddenly not.

This would have been the last thing I would have thought of: were it not for the forum, now the only question is "who the Hell did it":)

Thanks, guy's.

kv

Last edited:

Interestingly, even though the base of Linux installs and Mac OS (ie, BSD) is rather larger, you don't see many (any?) viruses floating around. While only anecdotal, it does say something for the security of *nix vs that of Microsoft's OS; if the base of *nix grows larger, we may see something different, but there really hasn't been any real big virus scares on *nix since the Morris worm way back in the olden days. The few "proof of concept" viruses done under *nix typically required the user to first login/su to root, then run the code. Which is really a lot of the issue behind Microsoft's trouble - everything wants (and sometimes needs) root access to do anything (supposedly XP, then Vista, then 7 - ad nauseum - was supposed to plug this hole - I'll guess we'll see with 7, but I'm not holding my breath).

Finally - another thing which I am not sure you have noticed or not, but when there is a big virus/worm/exploit on the net, have you noticed how almost none of the media organizations every mention anything about it being a Microsoft Windows based attack? I mean, if a particular brand of automobile was dying constantly, or blowing up, or had something else happen to it to everyone, the media would be all over it like flies. Microsoft Windows has problems? No a big deal - just call it an "internet" or "computer" virus, and don't mention what brand of software it fouls up...

One would think people would get the hint (some would say some have, given the number of people flocking to Apple, I suppose)...

I don't know. When both the "I love you" and the "Melissa" viruses broke the media was quick to point out that it targeted Windows (Microsoft) operating systems. My thing with the splash was if you are going to target something, then target something big. Be it to call attention to yourself or simply make a point, go big and Microsoft is big.

I have used a few Apple systems and have a brother who is a die hard Apple user. Matter of fact, the first computer I handed down to my kids was an Apple from my brother. Apple makes a very solid and robust operating system.

As to Linux users. I like using Linux and as I mentioned earlier I happen to be a Linux Suse user. I got involved with the Suse distro years ago and never moved. I have messed with a few Unbuntu distros but nothing that tripped my trigger. Where I see a problem with Linux in general is all the distros. Rather than focus on a good open source OS with a single distro they seem all over hell's half acre with distros. I never quite understood that.

Overall just in my experience I see the Linux users as obviously more savvy users. Hell you need to be as there is more to it than point and click. Linux users who also run Windows are also much, much less likely to get a virus or for that matter hopelessly screw up an OS.

Now I have to go see what my neighbor has on his machine. I figure he is due for another virus. :)

CIAO
Ron

Now I have to go see what my neighbor has on his machine. I figure he is due for another virus. :)

CIAO
Ron

When other people get a Virus's, I laugh at them.

If I get one. I call to the "hounds" of "hell".

Horns suddenly grow out of my head. :Growl:

Last edited:
When other people get a Virus's, I laugh at them.

If I get one. I call to the "hounds" of "hell".

Horns suddenly grow out of my head. :Growl:

The neighbor had one similar to that Windows 2010 AV version. Cleaned it (I love Combo Fix). I have Combo Fix and a few other tools on a pen drive. I fix his computers and he plows my drive areas. Nice arrangement. :) Damn snow!

Ron

I have a similar arrangement with my neighbor too. He owns a tree service, I get to use his bucket truck to clean my chimney, get free logs for firewood, use of the dumptruck etc.

Combo fix is very good, I also use malware bytes, ccleaner, hijackthis etc.

I have a similar arrangement with my neighbor too. He owns a tree service, I get to use his bucket truck to clean my chimney, get free logs for firewood, use of the dumptruck etc.

Combo fix is very good, I also use malware bytes, ccleaner, hijackthis etc.

I have Ccleaner, malware bytes, then the free Mcafee I get from the University. I just looked up the Combo Fix.

Although ComboFix is very useful for the removal of spyware infections, it has limited functions. It is because it was only designed for specific infections, thus making it incapable of eradicating other evolving computer viruses. In fact, ComboFix should not be used on computers that have a specific rootkit because it will prompt ComboFix to delete all files from the system drive.QUOTE]

I used to work for Mcafee. Mcafee and Norton are brothers cut from a similar cloth. They had their Satellite Offices just a Parking lot away from one another.

I think their success or the lack of a better word. Is due to the relationship with Microsoft reporting all the Virus Dat information accumulated. They would try to handle a bulk of Virus's between them.

I didn't know about Combo Fix. Looks like a good tool if you know how to use it.

I have Ccleaner, malware bytes, then the free Mcafee I get from the University. I just looked up the Combo Fix.

Although ComboFix is very useful for the removal of spyware infections, it has limited functions. It is because it was only designed for specific infections, thus making it incapable of eradicating other evolving computer viruses. In fact, ComboFix should not be used on computers that have a specific rootkit because it will prompt ComboFix to delete all files from the system drive.QUOTE]

I used to work for Mcafee. Mcafee and Norton are brothers cut from a similar cloth. They had their Satellite Offices just a Parking lot away from one another.

I think their success or the lack of a better word. Is due to the relationship with Microsoft reporting all the Virus Dat information accumulated. They would try to handle a bulk of Virus's between them.

I didn't know about Combo Fix. Looks like a good tool if you know how to use it.

ComboFix is a great tool but yes, you really need to have a handle on what you are doing. The root kit issue was about 2 1/2 years old and it was a single root kit that did cause the program to freak. That problem was quickly fixed and since then I have removed several root kits using it sans a problem. The last being the Rootkit TLD4. That is the machine from hell. Overall I have found ComboFix to be a great tool overall. Again, for those using it, I strongly suggest understanding the destructions err instructions.

Additionally I like using Malware Bytes and CCleaner. Nice thing is they conveniently reside on a zip drive so I drag them around with me. Nice feature of CCleaner is if you use it to clean a registry it does prompt you to make a backup of the registry in case you forget.

Another slick tool is to place Unbuntu (or any suitable Linux distro) on a USB pen drive and make it Persistent. Two and four GB pen drives can now be had for literally a few bucks. If you have a really crippled machine but can get it to boot from USB it can come in real handy to have an OS on a stick.

Overall it is nice to have a few tools available and pen drives make this so easy. You have to love them.

Ron

I've got a 16gig thumb that will let me backup with a single press. Scandisk Ultra. The draw back is it won't perform with anything other than Windows Platforms.

But I do have another one that is Cruiser 16gig. So, backup a dirty Windows Box and perform the Cleaning with the other drive. Nice:)

Last edited:
I've always wondered about why people try to find each virus, kill it, and so forth. I just put in a backup copy, let it update, then copy it back to the backup holder. Works for me! I will never learn how to track down viruses as long as I can make an image and reload it.

I've always wondered about why people try to find each virus, kill it, and so forth. I just put in a backup copy, let it update, then copy it back to the backup holder. Works for me! I will never learn how to track down viruses as long as I can make an image and reload it.

Yeah, I believe in creating image backups. Unfortunately many of my neighbors and friends don't quite have a handle on that. :)

Ron

killivolt-
get yourself a whole-house DSL/POTS Filter and throw out those individual phone filters. They are junk and actually slow DSL speeds. The whole house filter will not only protect your home's phone wiring from surges, it splits the DSL signal from the analog phone signal. You can then run a dedicated CAT5 or CAT6 line from that box to your DSL modem. You will notice a serious increase in downstream and upstream speeds. Your phones will not be affected from using DSL simultaneously. I gained well over 300K increase by using a whole-house filter. Running CAT5 or better cable to your modem or other PCs on the network also helps reduce losses. Give those individual filter dongles to someone you dislike!

Here's a link to the exact type of filter I'm talking about: HomeTech Solutions: Phone & Data Line Filters For DSL and Other Signals

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/12/su-649a1.pdf

**broken link removed**

Excellent, I should get some serious gain. I'm right nest to a Hub.

Thanks for Suggestion.

kv

A hub? You mean the Central Switch Location--- as in a building not a weather box on some street corner? DSL speeds are directly affected by one's distance from the CO (central office). The closer to the main plant's connection point, the faster your speed (typically that is). What I like best about those whole house splitters is the extra surge protection they provide to both phone and DSL lines. The brand splitter I use is SECOR. Many others are clones of that brand.

Here's a LINK to an old thread discussing the very topic where I mention in detail about the DSL/POTS splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back