Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer question

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the "friends and neighbors", and backup images...

Every time I douche a computer I install a DVD RW, make a backup on a DVD (or 2), and create a partition with another copy of the backup in it. Then I get phone calls asking how to get the accumulated crap and viruses off the C: drive. When I tell them to install the backup copy, they want instructions about how to put the DVD in the reader and click "start".

Talk about, "don't have a handle on that"! It's enough to make me understand why most new computers don't come with backup disks included. Most people can't figure out how to install the backup!

Oh well...it keeps me employed.

Installing Ubunto

After I have selected 17g for the the installation to be installed inside windows. I rebooted it say's finishing installation. Suddenly stops and say's

No root file system is defined.

Please correct this from the partitioning menu. (Ok)

I press (Ok) and it won't do anything else? This error message stay's.

Edit: In addition I am trying to install without being connected to the Net. Just before I get this screen, it say's trying to connect to network time server.

Last edited:
You may want to give this a read. How are you installing and are you setting up your partitions manually? I am not an Unbuntu type but have messed with it a little. My take is there are several causes for the error but the most common seems to be how your partitions are setup if you are manually setting them up.

Ron

You may want to give this a read. How are you installing and are you setting up your partitions manually? I am not an Unbuntu type but have messed with it a little. My take is there are several causes for the error but the most common seems to be how your partitions are setup if you are manually setting them up. Ron

I think what I need to do it install it with a GP partitioner. I found this on one of the forums. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoResizeWindowsPartitions

How are you installing and are you setting up your partitions manually?

Ron

I'm just using the CD and then selecting to install inside windows. After that it just asks how much I want size from 10gig to 20gig. But, it starts me out by default at 17gig. I've tried 20gig with no success. I think widows is messing it up somehow. I'm thinking that partition tool might be the way to go.

kv

Last edited:
If you want to setup your partitions GParted which can be found here is a good way to go.

Something you have to watch is when using software like GParted on a machine with a Windows install you can literally screw your Windows install if not careful. Linux does not quite view partitions the way a Windows based OS does so I suggest you read up a little just so nothing bad happens. I think for Unbuntu you also need a few partitions so check on that.

I think we have a few regulars here, maybe Torbin, who are really good at this stuff and with Unbuntu would be much more help that myself. I screw with the Suse distro which is somewhat different.

Ron

Linux does not quite view partitions the way a Windows based OS does so I suggest you read up a little just so nothing bad happens. I think for Unbuntu you also need a few partitions so check on that.
Ron

I'm going to take it to work. Then I'm going to use the extra 4gig drive in the Tower that is doing nothing and put a Clone tool on it. After that I can re-size and partition at will. It's probably a good idea to have a backup anyway. I can keep the Clone up to date to preserve ongoing content.

I noticed some tools like norton ghost. Any other suggestions?

kv

Paid versions Norton Ghost and I really liked Acronis True Image. There is some good free stuff out there too. The Free Country is a great source of all sorts of free application software.

Always backup! :)

Ron

If you want to setup your partitions GParted which can be found here is a good way to go.

I think for Unbuntu you also need a few partitions so check on that.

Ron

You can install it with just one, everything in root. If you need swap you can even do that in a file off of root. I used to break everything out, (/,var,etc,home,local,usr) but I ended up wasting so much space. On production systems at work we follow best practices but disk space is not a concern.

I use Hiren's boot cd for resizing and splitting partitions. The latest version also has malware tools. It's pretty slick.

You can install it with just one, everything in root. If you need swap you can even do that in a file off of root. I used to break everything out, (/,var,etc,home,local,usr) but I ended up wasting so much space. On production systems at work we follow best practices but disk space is not a concern.

I use Hiren's boot cd for resizing and splitting partitions. The latest version also has malware tools. It's pretty slick.

I got my Evil Brother's Machine and he wants me to fix it. But, I don't want to travel in my Gas Guzzler down to fix it. So, I was going to put Linux on it, starting him out for the first time on a Computer with it; let him grow with that system, and then put a remote desk top AP we have at work. There you go.......

What ever happens maybe I can forgo the the trip and do it in my own time.

Thanks for the Suggestion gabNC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back