Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confused as to why a USB connection will not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatfenders

Update: Please disregard this thread for now... I think I mis-diagnosed the problem/solution.

Hello,
While I have this effort working, I am left puzzled as to why it would not work with a USB connection. Here is the deal...
I have a tachyon camera installed in my '36 Chevy street rod. Initially I had the cable running over to a typical cigarette lighter socket. Tachyon supplies 2 types of cables.
1. USB 2.0
2. Cigarette lighter type connector.

For mounting under the dash I removed the board and placed it in a construction box as seen below.
tachyon board.jpg

Using (1) above you can can charge the internal battery but cannot record at the same time. You can also view the videos on your computer.
Using (2) above you can both charge and record at the same time.

Of course, when mounted in an automobile, you want to be able to charge/record.

After I got it working I wanted to hide the cable which required cutting it to thread it through a grommet I put in the windshield molding. Since I cut it I decided to use a male USB 2.0 connecter on the 'camera' side and a female USB 2.0 connector on the 'charger side ( I like modular).
I did all that and hide the actual charger under the dash.
But while it would charge with the camera in the 'off' position, as soon as I turned the camera on, it would quit charging. The USB connection being the only variable, I ripped it out and spliced the 12v + and - wires directly. Waa-Laa!

So how does the camera know I put that USB 2.0 connection in the circuit?

A coupla other notes:
1. With the Tachyon supplied cable with the USB 2.0 connector you can charge (through any USB 2.0 port) or view video on your computer.
2. The Tachyon cigarette type connector produces around 5 volts (same as a typical power adapter.
3. The cigarette type power supply does not use the 2 data circuits, just the + and - power circuits

So my $64 question is... how does the camera know that connector is there?
Also, how does it know which source (USB or cigarette power supply) is supplying the power?

Last edited:
Mike,
Thanks for the reference and quick response, but my actual question remains unanswered... why does a male /female USB 2.0 connection in between the camera and the charger make a difference? How does the camera 'know' about the existence of that connection?

Example: See this **broken link removed** cable?

It may look like any other USB cable, but it's not. If you smash the USB connector, you will find two resistors to D+ and D- and ground. They can make a difference for a 0.1 A charging rate or a 500 mA charging rate.

My GPS acts differently if a USB or the 12 V charge port is used.

Are you actually using USB? Or just using a USB connector to carry power to the camera?

You mentioned 12Volts, so I assume the latter.

KeepIt,
Thanks, that may have been an issue. Read on.

Chris,
Just using the connectors as convenient quick disconnects. But the USB is AFTER the board, not before, so 5v is all it was carrying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tachyon supplies 2 types of cables:
1. A 4 wire with a mini USB to the camera and a 2.0 USB connector on the other end. With this cable you cannot charge and record.
2. A 2 wire with a mini USB to the camera and the cigarette type charger on the other end. With this cable you can charge and record.

I had installed (1) above in the car through a grommet in the windshield molding, and the rest hidden. Figured I could just wire up + and - (red/black) and be on my merry way. Not. I replaced (1) above with (2) above and spliced the wires. Now everything works like it is supposed to.
Maybe there were resistors in that 4 wire like KeepIt suggests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back