Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting Infra Red Headphones to Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimP

Hello All,
Is it possible to convert infra red headphones to speakers? I have a mate who uses them for his car and would like to be able to use speakers for the back section of his van for his kids to watch DVDs instead of head phones?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Plug a set of amplified speakers into the headphone jack. Many computer speaker sets use a 12 volt wall wart and could be adapted to use the van's 12volts.

You'll need to remove the transducers can connect the wires to an audio amplifier. It should be fairly straightforward but the amplifier will require a separate battery.

No need to disassemble the speakers. I suggested computer speakers because you can get them cheap or even free and they would be ready to go. They are also fairly small and would fit in a van well. Some sets even run on batteries. JimP could even do a trial setup in the driveway by running a cord to AC power for the wall wart supply to see if the IR receiver can drive them and if the sound quality is acceptable. If so then a more permanent install can be done-like rigging a 12 volt connection to the van's electrical system.

No, I didn't say he had to disassemble the speakers, he needs to disassemble the headphones. How else can he connect the IR receiver, built-in to the headphones. to a pair of amplified speakers?

Last edited:
Looks like I had a brain crash! Of course the RECEIVER is in the phones. I was thinking (Wrongly) about the TRANSMITTER. The jack on it would be an INPUT, therefore my computer speakers idea isn't so good. Now it gets more complicated to set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back