Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermaine

I have got this question and i really puzzled how should i go about design and plan waht chips to use. I need to design a circuit for tsunami alert system. The amplitude of the sea activity is giving as amp is input to the circuit by setting the vaule of a dip switch and a corfim signal with a push button switch. amp is measured on a scale of 0 to 5 where 0 corresponds to least and 5 corresponds to 5 as the highest. If amp is > than 3, it will flash a red light for 3 * amp time units after which the green light is flashed for the next (16-3 *amp) time units.otherwise, the green light flashes for 16 time units. Input the confirm signal to the circuit using single pulser. How should i know what inveretes, what gates (7400 series) , decoder to be used? Anyone can advise me ?

Please space your post out so it's easier to read and provide more infomation.

You haven't made it cleart as to what sort of sensore you're using, the nature of the output . It just looks like you're rambling on to me.

To build a tsunami alert system is probably a waste of time, but if you are keen, work something out to measure the extreme height difference in sea level.

Best is to live in the hills or away from the coastline.
Depending how close the quake is near the coastline the wave may be there in minutes or hours.
In the last case you hope that the radio and TV in your area will broadcast the alarm signal to warn people in low lying areas to flee uphill.

hi shermaine,

Ive taken the liberty of reformatting your post, don't be offended, as Hero as
already pointed out its very difficult to read.

I would suggest, that you use the reformatted post, as a starting point and
add more details to it, so that we can determine what you are trying to do.

I have got this question and i really puzzled.

How should i go about design and plan waht chips to use.

I need to design a circuit for tsunami alert system.

The amplitude of the sea activity is giving as amp is input to the circuit by setting the vaule of a dip switch and a corfim signal with a push button switch.

amp is measured on a scale of 0 to 5 where 0 corresponds to least and 5 corresponds to 5 as the highest.

If amp is > than 3, it will flash a red light for 3 * amp time units
after which the green light is flashed for the next (16-3 *amp) time units.

otherwise, the green light flashes for 16 time units.

Input the confirm signal to the circuit using single pulser.

How should i know what inveretes, what gates (7400 series) , decoder to be used?

Anyone can advise me ?

Regards
EricG

guys, it's a project that i need to do as an assignment. it's nt actually aim for tsunami. Anyone can advise me what choips to use? How should i work out to design the ssytem? pls advise

We don't mind helping you but we won't do it for you.

Rodalco, out at sea even the largest of Tsunami's only go up a couple feet. Even a windy day will produce bigger waves than a Tusnami in deep water. Any Tsunami warning system would basically be a quake detector, and triangulating the depth and location of a quake is still relativly difficult. Not to mention you have to have detailed knowledge of the techtonic plates in the area to even make a guess as to what kind of movement may have occured. It's not even as accurate as throwing darts.

shermaine,

Sceadwian is spot on.
The detection of a Tsunami requires a lot of high tech/expensive equipment.

I wouldnt recommend trying it as training project.

You say in your latest post its not really for a Tsunami, so what is for ??

Eric

While the tsunami-produces waves are not very great in amplitude, they do travel significantly faster than storm waves. One detector might try to measure the speed a waves transits a distance.

Then you are having to measure a wave coming from an unknown orientation, and trying to keep track of one wave among thousands.

Coming up with an unambiguous method of identifying a tsunami wave is much more interesting at this point than a specific reccommendation for an IC.

my problem to dtart off, is what type of ic chip should i use? i'm really dont know. Should i start off with a truth table? i need advise. Not asking u guys to help me do. thanks

There are plenty of things you need to condider before you even think about what IC you're going to use; like the mechanical design of the project.

Hi Hero999,

Thanks for your reply. What info i need to consider 1st and how should i start off and how should i plan the mechanical design? Please advise. Thanks.

Obviously, since this is a school assignment, you have to ask yourself this: What is the difference between a tsunami wave and normal ocean waves?
Answer: Wavelength / frequency.
Project for you: Figure out the highest frequency of a tsunami wave and design a filter to detect it and all frequencies below it.

Hi,

Is there any steps or example available for learning?
Any one come across any vhdl eaxmple for learning?
Please provide the link/.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back