Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differentiator help..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean isn't there a difference in percentage between power and voltage distortortion? THD of amps is given in the distortion percentage in power but there is also a calculation in voltage which is what we are discussing with the notch filter.

Distortion is always a level of voltage, not power.
The attenuation of a notch filter also is a measurement of voltage, not power.

The power ratings of most amplifiers are simple lies. "100 Whats of music power at 10% distortion at only one frequency for only a moment (into a short circuit)"!
Instead they should say that the output power at a low distortion (0.1% or less) is 25 Watts into 8 ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz CONTINUOUSLY!

I came up with an idea to detect, and know what % of distortion is detected, it was something I have been thinking about. Since different amps of different sizes will be used, I could use a voltage regulator(buck) that pulls the fundamental comming in, down to a specific voltage(say 3V) and compare it with a refrence voltage that is a fraction to the fundamental(pertaining to the distortion % I want). I have LM2576t adj simple switcher device but i don't know if it works with an AC input, do you know if it does?

A switching buck voltage regulator will not reduce an AC signal, instead it reduces a DC power supply voltage.
An analog compressor/limiter circuit that is fed an attenuated signal of varying levels will produce a fairly steady output level that can be tested for the amount of distortion.

I cannot find anything on google...
There are many compressor/limiter circuits in Google. Some of them control program levels or control the level of a sinewave oscillator with a Jfet. The signal is rectified and feeds the gate of the Jfet that reduces the signal level when it is more than a refrerence voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back