Eleven dangerous plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
I am not sure this link will work here. If not, maybe a moderator can remove the whole post.

Poisonous plants are well know, such as fox glove. Many plants can also cause dermatitis, such as poison ivy. This article appeared in my "in" box the other day. I found it particularly interesting. For example, I was not aware of the potential phytophotodermatitis from lime juice. Be careful, if you are sitting by the pool, having a Corona with a slice of lime.

Link: **broken link removed**

John

BTW, Please let me know if the link does not work. I tested it after posting, but I may also have a cookie that allows it.

Thanks for checking the link.

Sorry about that. I was afraid a cookie was involved. Not anxious to post my password, but when I get back to Cleveland, I will try to post the essence of it. Aside from the effect of lime juice in sunlight (which may not be that common) one of the other interesting and not commonly known facts was debunking the toxicity of poinsettias.

I posted this as something anyone with young children around might like to know. Nice pictures were attached for those not familiar with the plants.

John

Edit:
@Pommie, Castor beans were in the list I tried to post, but they are pretty uncommon. I find it remarkable that a relatively simple purification removes virtually all of the ricin so that castor oil is non-toxic. Castor beans also have a powerful allergen. The Solanaceae (which include tomatoes and potatoes)are well known for having toxicities and allergens (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanaceae).

Last edited:
when is started reading, first my eye caught ''mushrooms'' i laughed, literally, as it was the first thing that popped in my mind when thinking about poisonous food. THEN, as it intended, i proceeded reading, apples? tomatoes? even potatoes? now my brain is simply sprained (sorry, google translation rawly from finnish, hopefully it was right to write sprained....) and situtation isn't helped at all by the fact, i'm finnish guy that eats almost daily potatoes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…