Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Filter corner frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
Cut off / corner frequency.

Thinking of a DAC, spiting, say 2000 values/sec and the associated LPF at the output:

According to what I've read up to now, the filter should have a (-3dB) cut off frequency of 2KHz.

My question: why from the beginning I accept to design with an atenuated output since my interest is to have the signal restored with the right level, that is with 0dB attenuation.

In other words, shouldn't I design for a corner frequency where my highest signal of interest is not attenuated at all?

I do not discard misunderstand things or plainly ignoring many.

Last edited:
A filter is usually needed with an ADC to prevent aliasing of out-of-band noise. It's no so critical with a DAC since aliasing is not a consideration and their noise level is usually just the quantizing noise of 1 LSB.

For 2000 values/sec output from a DAC the highest sine-wave frequency you can reproduce is 1kHz. A 2KHz roll-off filter will have only a slight effect on this 1KHz signal amplitude. But, depending upon your application, you many not need a filter.

If the DAC uses zero-order hold (a staircase-type output) you need the filter to include 1/sinc() function (analog or in software) to cancel the effects of the zero-order hold. The 1/sinc will amplify higher frequencies.

Here is the practical theory: Digital-to-Analog Conversion

One easy option is to use oversampling.. then you can pretty much ignore the effect of zero-order hold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back