Frequency to voltage converter for rudder indicator system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,
I am looking for a way of converting an output frequency to a DC voltage for a rudder indicator system onboard the boat I work on.
The the output frequnecy of the rudder position sensor varies from 2500 Hz (full left rudder) to 4300 Hz (full right rudder) with zero rudder being 3400 Hz. I have an existing rudder angle display but it operates on changing DC voltage (0-24Vdc). I would like help making the two peices work together, maybe via a LM2917 or other similar frequency to voltage converter? Thanks for any help.

Sure you can. You need to build a PLL loop. You will just work it backwards because the DC voltage is used to control the frequency by applying it to a varactor diode in a VCO oscillator. The DC voltage is produced from a phase detector/comparator which compares the frequency to usually a crystal controlled reference oscillator. This might be the zero rubber value in your application. I am not familiar with the LM2917 but I assume it is used as a transducer of some sort. This is very doable and PLL is precisely what you need.

hi,
Look at this link:
**broken link removed**

I would also check the LM331 data sheet and applications notes on the National Semiconductor website.

Alright I just pulled down the data sheet on the LM2917. All it is, is a single stage of what could be used in a PLL. It's OK if your not looking for a high degree of accuracy. I mean, where is your reference? If I was to do this, I would not even use that chip. I would use something like a Motorola PLL IC which has both a phase detector and phase/frequency detector. You would compare this against a crystal reference oscillator so that the tolerance would be that of the crystal. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
A crystal reference oscillator!! To indicate the position of a boat rudder!! Have you gone mad?

Mike.

Yes, use a 2917. I sometimes just do it like this...

This assumes your peak-to-peak input voltage is regulated, otherwise you will need to use that second opamp in the 8-pin package as a comparator. This is essentially what's in an LM2917.

Attachments

• f2v.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
A PLL used as a frequency-to-voltage converter is only as linear (or usually, nonlinear) as the Fout/Vin transfer function of its VCO. You are apparently highly enamored of PLLs right now, but your idea is half-baked. An LM2907/2917, plus an op amp, is probably the simplest and most accurate solution to this problem.

You could steal a simple idea that Sony used in its '70s era B&W videotape machines to convert the off-tape FM to a DC video signal:

Just have the FM signal continuosly trigger a monostable multivibrator. The more often it is triggered (the higher the FM frequency), the more the output DC rises.

I have done a little more research and found that the output of this system needs to be 75 Hz per volt for my purposes. I looked at the LM 2917 PDF from the National website and have seen some similar systems to what I am trying to do. I just need some help on how to determine the correct capacitor and resistor values. Once again thanks for the help, input, and ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…