Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frog Croak Detection ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
To solve detection-type problems, like those, you might eventually want to use some of the classical automatic statistical "pattern recognition" techniques. Basically, you get some samples of whatever types of data you have available that might be related to what you're trying to detect, then do what's called (or used to be called) "feature extraction", and then design a "discrimination function", which decides if detection has occurred or not. Then you can design a hardware/software implementation of the discrimination function and the needed sensors, to act as your "detector".

That stuff is a branch of what used to be called "artificial intelligence", back in the late 1970s. It was EE608 (IIRC) at Purdue, around 1979, with a book called "Statistical Pattern Recognition" (IIRC), by Ken Fukunaga. There were cool homework problems about things like designing the optimal system for identifying warheads and decoys, where the probability times the cost of being wrong comes into play.

Anyway, you could google for the terms in quotes, above. But you might also find most or all of what you currently need by searching for "voice recognition", and related topics. There are loads of IEEE papers about all of that stuff, and many books.

As cheap as hardware is getting, maybe later you can also use a digital camera and do image recognition. If it were me, I'd then add targeting, tracking, and automatic weapon-delivery. :)

Have fun!

- Tom Gootee

**broken link removed**

Tom,
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the info on feature extraction. I will go as far as I need to get the detection to work. The vision thing is out. Most of the time you can not see the frogs.

The rest is off topic but since it is my thread I think it is OK with me

I took a look at your web site. It would be fun to sit down over a cup of coffee or such with you.

The local high school has a small CNC mill that I have been using to drill (not mill) PCB using the PCB-Gcode software. When I finsish a few other projects I would like to build a somewhat larger one. I expect to hang out over at CNCZone.

Have you tried either the PulsarProFx or Press & Peel toner transfer paper.

I

3v0 said:
Tom,
Welcome to the forum.

I took a look at your web site. It would be fun to sit down over a cup of coffee or such with you.

I
Tom has been one of my email buddies for several years - you know, one of those people you have never met personally, but you exchange jokes and such. He seems like a great guy. I "ran into" him on another forum recently and steered him here.

Good to have you, Tom!

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back