Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good Brand of New Television Set ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hi,

Any ideas on what might be a good brand name for a new TV set?
Probably LCD with LED backlight type *only*, not pure LCD with fluorescent backlight and not any other type like plasma or CRT.

Well I can't really help you in the USA, but in the UK/Europe CRT's disappeared years ago, there are hardly any Plasma's (only Panasonic, LG, and Samsung still make small numbers of them - and that number is likely to drop), and almost all (if not all?) LCD sets have LED back-lighting.

Best makes are Sony and Panasonic, mid-range makes are Samsung and LG - pretty well everything else is cheap and poorer quality.

As I understand the American market, it's been mostly cheaply made badged sets for even longer than the UK?.

Hi Nigel,

Thanks much for the info, i actually figured you would have the best information here :)

I'll have to see if i can find those brands around online. I have seen some Samsung \models although i noticed they are higher priced. Didnt see any Sony's yet or Panasonics, i'll have to check around. Saw lots and lots of other very weird name brands around though.

I have a friend who owns an electronics shop, he also sells TV's. 6 years ago I was shopping for a new TV so I asked him for advice. He recomended Panasonic and told me that was the brand he had in his home. So thats what I bought, It's been 6 years with no problems.

P.S. He also recomended a good surge suppressor so I have it plugged into one of those.

I have had several Vizio's in the house. I like my Vizio. Had them for several years now.

Hi,

I have seen a lot of Vizio's for sale, but not sure about that name yet. They are cheaper price wise than some other brands though.

Hi,

I have seen a lot of Vizio's for sale, but not sure about that name yet. They are cheaper price wise than some other brands though.

I've always presumed Vizio was just a badge stuck on cheap imported sets? - obviously I've got no actual knowledge of this, as it's presumably just a USA brand name? - but it even sounds cheap and nasty :D

These may be helpful:
**broken link removed**
This is rather a long read. I cheated and read the intro & then skipped to the conclusion at the end. And the winner is....Samsung UN32EH5300 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz Smart LED HDTV (Black)

This is what another review had to say about Vizio:
http://tv.toptenreviews.com/led-tv/vizio-xvt553sv-review.html
The only Vizio models reviewed, ranked as #8 & #10 in their lineup of the 10 best. Nigel's suspicions are correct.

This review also chose Samsung as their top TV:
http://tv.toptenreviews.com/led-tv/samsung-f8000-review.html

Value for money is quite another matter, since all of us must cut our cloth according to our means.

Last edited:
In my part of Canada Sony have closed some of their showrooms (mainly for TVs). Look in Google. Sony has had losses on its TVs for over 10 years and will make the TV business separate from the rest of Sony and maybe get a partner.

Sharp TVs are selling well in my part of Canada.

Hi again,

Lots of info here. I'll have to read through some of this.
Interesting story about Vizio i just hope their TV's are good. I read about one with a good quality picture, and that is what i really need, but they also stated that the picture "controls" are very limited. The AOC i have now is so poor for displaying the black levels that during a dark scene i can barely tell what's going on in the movie, in fact many times i can not tell at all because all the dark colors mix together and all i get is a dark screen with no detail.

Thanks to all for all the good ideas, and if you have more ideas please add them too, thanks.

I read that, it hardly tells you anything encouraging - most sets made in Taiwan - and presumably just badged as Vizio.

I'm EXTREMELY dubious about the supposed 'designed' by Vizio, I suspect they are simply ordered from the cheap Taiwanese manufacturer, who design them as well. The same thing happens here with Cello, who claim to be designed in the UK, but are simply cheap Chinese sets identical to various other cheap brand names.

In my part of Canada Sony have closed some of their showrooms (mainly for TVs). Look in Google. Sony has had losses on its TVs for over 10 years and will make the TV business separate from the rest of Sony and maybe get a partner.

Both Sony and Panasonic have been making losses on TV sales for a considerable time - simply because their sets are better made, using better quality components, and they both provide FAR better service than the lesser manufacturers. Unfortunately the lower prices from the poorer manufacturers mean they can't sell their better made sets at a high enough price to make a profit :(

Sharp TVs are selling well in my part of Canada.

Most Sharp sets in Europe are just cheap badged Vestels (made in Turkey - identical to many of the cheap supermarket brands), working for a Sharp dealer (and twice winner of Sharp Engineer of the Year) I can tell you that Sharp sets haven't been much good for a VERY long time, and their sales figures have plummeted here. Much of their UK operation has been closed, including their large facility at Manchester (where we used to go on training courses), it's a much smaller operation here now.

Vizio = unfixable. No service info. No parts. Last just past warranty.

So you and Nigel agree. Vizio probably isnt the right TV to buy. If i can get 5 years out of a TV i will probably be happy, but most of them i think are guaranteed for only 1 year (i think).

So you and Nigel agree. Vizio probably isnt the right TV to buy. If i can get 5 years out of a TV i will probably be happy, but most of them i think are guaranteed for only 1 year (i think).

Many Sony and Panasonic sets in the UK come with 5 year guarantees, as long as you buy from a proper Sony/Panasonic dealer - otherwise most sets are only 12 months.

Hi again,

Wow 5 years isnt too bad really. I hope the price isnt too much higher though.

If you are looking for longevity from it, it simply has to be a decent branded TV that you buy. It may not last as long as TV's of yesteryear before developing a fault, but the main difference is that parts and service information are readily available and pretty much any decent engineer can repair it if it were to go faulty at an early stage in its life. With that said, the cheap Chinese manufactured (insert fancy brand name here) do often come with some great features on them for the money. It is always a trade off between picture quality vs features vs price vs reliability. Nigel is right on the money, Sony and Panasonic are the two big guys now, with LG and Samsung competing for the mid-market. Anything else comes waaay down the scale from there :)

I think televisions will go the same way that personal computers did. There will be no repairs. Just toss it and buy another. Appliances don't last as long. Cars are designed for about 10 years, depending on how well you take care of them. Maybe more maybe less. You all know this is not new information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back