Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help On LED Torch Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

haks83

hi everyone im sorta stuck i have an idea to build a LED lantern because i wanna turn the nights into day, im planing on using 50 (could use more) white 50,000 mcd led wich i found on ebay but i dont no how to creat the circuit and dont no what other components i would need to use i have googled alot but couldnt find anything so i was wondering if anyone would like to help me out in designing the circuit

thank you

Rather than using an insanely large number of LEDs, use a single power emitter, like the one linked below.

rswww.com |  LXHL-MWEC, Lumileds Lighting, Wht enhanced low dome lens star LED,1W, 467-7503

The simplest way of getting the LED to light is to use a series resistor. The forumula to calculate the value can be found using Google.

LED series resistor - Google Search

Of course this isn't the most efficient way of powering an LED, especially at higher power levels where a switching regulator is more suitable.

**broken link removed**

This should help you wire up your LEDs. Your 50,000 mcd LEDs probably have a narrow angle, maybe in the 20 degree range. Kind of directional, also at 12 volts, you'll be using around 350 ma, about the same as a 1 watt emitter, which usually have angle of 120 degree for similar brightness. Kind of depends on what sort of torch you want. Your LEDs will be more of a tight beam, like a spotlight, a single 1 watt emitter will be more like a lantern.

torch circuit

thanx alot with those links guys but with this circuit board would i need any capacitors or other diodes apart from the LED

Just an LED and resistor will do.

Your 50,000 mcd LEDs probably have a narrow angle, maybe in the 20 degree range.

just wanted to say that i found some **broken link removed** at core electronics that are 100mA and wide angle, sounds like they might be great for a job like this

they are really bright, i used them for a lighting display and controlled them with a pwm signal and a fet :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back