Help! Regarding AC voltage amplification(mV to V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hi,
If you have a 15R series current sense resistor and you pass 100A thru it,
using Ohms Law you get Vsense = 15 * 100 = 1500 Volts.!!!!!

I think this would exceed the input voltage range of the 741 opa.

ya I want to sense high side current also..

Does this mean you plan to put a sense resistor in the LINE/PHASE wire of the mains supply.?

Last edited:

look, I have put 15 ohm resistor parallel to the line phase, and I am getting 11mV across resistor when I give 100Amps current in line.

look, I have put 15 ohm resistor parallel to the line phase, and I am getting 11mV across resistor when I give 100Amps current in line.

I suggest you consult ohms law, although what you say makes little sense anyway - but this may be due to the language problem? - try posting a diagram of EXACTLY how you have it connected.

I suggest you consult ohms law, although what you say makes little sense anyway - but this may be due to the language problem? - try posting a diagram of EXACTLY how you have it connected.

hi Nigel,
I was beginning to wonder if I was missing something.

I'm glad someone else see's the ambiguity.

Last edited:
Hey! Guys I am just experimenting ,just see the attachment file, so you can clarify what I am thinking and again I have not analyze what is goona happen..about the circuit, it just strike in my mind and I am getting mV drop according to the value of current , so I shared with you to get more idea.

Attachments

• circuit.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 261
What's the 15 ohm resistor for?.

It's doing nothing, you're measuring the voltage drop across a piece of the cable, essentially a very low resistor.

With a few turns of wire wrapped around the conductor you can make your own low-output & isolated current transformer and then use an opamp to amplify. You will need to calibrate it, though.

Last edited:
What's the 15 ohm resistor for?.

It's doing nothing, you're measuring the voltage drop across a piece of the cable, essentially a very low resistor.

To, Nigel and Ericgibbs
ya ! you are absolutely right, I just checked 2nd time, and observed what is happening....conclude that it is not voltage across resistor, it just voltage across that part of conductor, when I checked first time I just checked the end part of conductor and across resistor and got the different value, so I was thinking that it is due to resistor.

Now, to all,
regarding my project, can you help me how I can sense current (AC) flowing in the line. How I can get D.C voltage according to the value of AC current.

Now, to all,
regarding my project, can you help me how I can sense current (AC) flowing in the line. How I can get D.C voltage according to the value of AC current.

I have already posted a working circuit diagram of a two stage amplifier and precision rectifier, what else do you want.?

How you detect the low mV levels is up to you, using a tapped series section of the mains wire itself or as Willbe suggests a few turns of wire around the mains lead.

Remember, the resistor method is not mains isolated so could be harzardous also the problem of power supply and PIC isolation will need to be considered.

What is the 'load' current passing thru.? motors, lights, solenoids etc.

This is for general purpose that means it can be any load, not necessary that it is motor or lights.....

This is for general purpose that means it can be any load, not necessary that it is motor or lights.....

If the LOAD is inductive you could have problems with heavy current spikes/surges occuring in the mains wiring sense line/point

Regarding SOT

hi,
Do you mean 15 milli ohms.??? and a maximum of 100A not 1000A.?

Look at this circuit, it could be modified to give what you are asking.[/QUOTE]

Hey! Eric , I understand your idea of the circuit which, shows 2-stage amplification of gain-10 and rectifier after it, but at this stage I want to know the specification of SOT.Can you help me out with it?

hi,
Do you mean 15 milli ohms.??? and a maximum of 100A not 1000A.?

Look at this circuit, it could be modified to give what you are asking.
Hey! Eric , I understand your idea of the circuit which, shows 2-stage amplification of gain-10 and rectifier after it, but at this stage I want to know the specification of SOT.Can you help me out with it?

hi,
I dont see any circiuit.?

When you say SOT, is that Select On Test value for the resistor.?

Last edited:
hi,
I dont see any circiuit.?

When you say SOT, is that Select On Test value for the resistor.?

o.k , you have written it beside the capacitor, so it's value should be selected after testing..right?
but, the value of C3 is written as 0-1.....??????//
Another thing , can i replace dual supply opam with single supply......

Attachments

• mV2dc1.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 252
o.k , you have written it beside the capacitor, so it's value should be selected after testing..right?
but, the value of C3 is written as 0-1.....??????//
Another thing , can i replace dual supply opam with single supply......

hi,
The C3 cap 0.1µF is a 100nF

The circuit is designed for a dual supply only.

The SOT capacitor is to suit the frequency that you are rectifying, in order to give a smoothed dc output.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…