Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Water Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. My name is Joe Norris and I live in N E Oh. Is this a place that I could get help building a circiut to rapidly turn a 24V, 30W DC water pump on and off? I have no electronics training, but have learned the basic symbols and how to read a basic schematic. In return I would be more than willing to help with remodeling problems by email or phone or if in the area with my hammer. I have been at it long enough to have learned an old timer trick or two...

Well Joe, after some 1200 replies and almost a year now, do you think you have solved this problem yet? <insert gigantic chuckle>
It seems that maybe a lot of other people need help in this same area as there are over 34000 views for this thread too.
So i hope by now you can turn that pump on and off. Im just glad that you werent trying to build a cold fusion reactor :)

Seriously though do you think you have the solution or is there other problems that came up too (without making me read this entire thread start to end)?

Joe,

If you want to mail me a set of parts I can try to do a post mortem and modify one to the new version. I think I could make one at least out of the 2 on a board. I could then mail them back to you like the grandkids at Christmas. ;)

I remember It was suggested early on that Joe make one PDM.
I also suggested that joe mail me a working pump to try to get VI data from it.

Now, doesn't the build one, get it to work and make a PCB sound more attractive?

@Ronv
If you have a scope and the time, why not get a pump to play with. The circuit does you little good without a pump.

@All
Our 1 year anniversary is coming up fast. What's the party plan?

What's the party plan?
Perhaps we should keep the champagne on ice until we're sure we can get the pump doing what Joe wants?:)

I wish could get more involved especially with the simulator stuff. My mom has been suffering with Pneumonia for the last 4 months or so. She's getting better, but will be prone to pneumonia and/or bronchitis episodes. A rather benign bacteria decided to take up residence in her lungs because they are more hospitable than healthy lungs.

Sorry to hear that KISS. Hope she makes a speedy recovery.

I wish could get more involved especially with the simulator stuff. My mom has been suffering with Pneumonia for the last 4 months or so. She's getting better, but will be prone to pneumonia and/or bronchitis episodes. A rather benign bacteria decided to take up residence in her lungs because they are more hospitable than healthy lungs.

Hope see gets all better soon!

I'm sorry all the mods have arisen; but each trial seems to reveal some new thing about the pump characteristics which needs a work-around.
I am afraid that the pump characteristics will be all over the place just do to the nature of the lack of quality controls on cheaper pumps.:(

, do you think you have solved this problem yet? QUOTE]

Hi MrAl, there were a boatload of problems. And delays. Mostly my fault due to mistakes and waiting for parts.

I'd say there are two highlights to this thread-Alec's own original method for speed control on a brushless DC motor. If I understand it correctly, it controls speed with very little impact on torque.

The other highlight is the generousity, patience, brilliance, creativity, determination and camaraderie on display.

KISS, I hope your mom gets better real soon.

Ron, I'd like to try the Mk13 and see if it does the trick. If we still run into snags, could I send a set of parts your way at that point? A very generous offer-thanks.

4pyros, heck yes you're invited!

I was looking at Mk13 and does U1d have a pair of pins grounded and the coresponding pin left alone? In other words ground pins 1 and 2, leaving pin 3 alone. (or 8-9 & 10 or 12-13 & 11 or 5-6 & 4)

For now, just a hook for Isense and another hook for SpeedCon makes sense doesn't it?

Got some parts today, still some on the way.

KISS, I have no aversion to buying American. I got three items from DigiKey today. That would be buying American-or would it? One item was made in Malaysia, one from China and the other was made in the Czech Republic.

joe,

This is a tad off-topic, but...

salty joe said:
KISS, I have no aversion to buying American. I got three items from DigiKey today. That would be buying American-or would it? One item was made in Malaysia, one from China and the other was made in the Czech Republic.

Back in the early 80s, I sold and supported Apple IIs (and other brands and stuff). This fellow came into our store one day (who, as it turned out, had been a bomber pilot in the Pacific theater during WWII) and announced that he wanted to buy a computer.

But he made it quite clear that it could not contain any Japanese parts. I let him know that was going to be very difficult to find such a beast. I even opened up one of the Apples to show him the chips, all of which had either the country of manufacture or the manufacturer's name clearly displayed.

He immediately noticed the chips marked "Mitsubishi", and quite angrily said, "They made Zeros".

He went on a bit more about his wartime service and then suddenly turned to the store front windows, pointed out into the parking lot and asked me to guess which car was his.

Only thing I could even remotely think of to say was (in retrospect, rather rudely):

"Well, I guess that for sure it ain't that Toyota."

He left and never came back.

So, you can pick whatever (1/4) you want to use or not use depending on what's convenient for your layout.

**broken link removed**

Thanks KISS. I just want to make sure I have this right. U1d gets two pins grounded and its corsesponding pin is left alone. For example, ground 1 &2 and leave pin three alone. Would that be right?

Yes that would be fine. It satisfies the rule that UNUSED inputs must be tied to +12 or Ground.

Frankenstorm (Hurricane Sandy) is heading my way. About 24 hours away now. It might even hit parts of Ohio.

Hope all goes well hurricane-wise, guys. Don't envy you that!

Hi guys, just a heads up to say I'll be off-line for a few days. 'er indoors has persuaded me we need a break. Chat amongst yourselves :)

At least you found a Hotel open. I hope no other damage. These are the times you want to think about a whole house generator especially when you have a sump pump and a freezer full of food. We, fortunately, don't loose power often and all we got is a glitch during the hurricane.

I'm trying to deal with the water passively outside without pumps. One pump sits in a window well and was not turned on. I added a few "sand" bags there too.

The sump pump worked very little, if at all. Most of the time the sump was dry.

I don't think the rain was as intense as it was with Irene.

I rerouted some downspout water 10' away from the foundation on a driveway, like I do in the winter to minimize ice formation near a back door. Otherwise, it's a tripping hazard. With "smart meters" now, we don't have to worry about a utility gal/guy reading the meter.

The neighbor took down his tent for his car and that was a big help.

I had a chance to attend to some areas which were eroding (was able to see the water) and fixed that by adding pea gravel around and near a self-installed storm grate and I added some gravel elsewhere. I also dug a small channel: 6" W x 4" D x 2 feet Long to help water drain.

Leaves under the gate and leaves in general was a new problem. I had to clean them out.

"sand" bags where the door is a ground level also worked.

My storm grate filter clogged, but I attended to that in time. I'll try some different materials and a design for a bypass is in the works. I might even, electrically detect a clogged filter (float switch in catch basin).

Efforts are under way to permanently fix the drainage issues. No water got in the house and the yard drained quickly. No trees fell. i.e. 50+ YO oak tree.

I hope when you come back, there is no real damages to take care of, except for food. Only once, i had rented an generator for 4 days or so when the transformer servicing our house blew. Moving power to 1 freezer and 2 refrigerators kept the generator busy gulping gas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back