Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help: Word Display Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought CMOS ran at 3.3 volts?

Cyborg86 said:
I've done the test for the display with two values of resistors. 680 ohm resistors are suitable for my 7-segment LED display.

I already know how to build the 555 timer to feed the circuit with clock pulses. I only need to know how I can make the binary numbers count randomly so that the message 'Hello' appears in random order.

Thanks,
The attached diagram uses CMOS IC's. The output of the 74AC138 is 8 lines, but you only have to use 5 for your display. You may have to experiment a little on the values of the resistors for the 74AC14 oscillators.
I have shown the connections for the letter O. Use resistors and a PNP transistor for each of the other letters.

Attachments

• RANDOM.JPG
    RANDOM.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 158
Just a hint! - don't use JPG for diagrams, it makes them HUGE and low quality, if you use GIF or PNG the files will only be a fraction of the size and perfect quality!.

JPEG sucks... PNG is my favourite... :D Anways...

thanks k7elp60 for your circuit diagram. it is clear enough to read. I will implement it on breadboard and i will tell u later on, if it works or not.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Just a hint! - don't use JPG for diagrams, it makes them HUGE and low quality, if you use GIF or PNG the files will only be a fraction of the size and perfect quality!.
Nigel,
Thanks for the tip I will try to remember. I have some questions for you in this regard:
How many dpi should I use? I ask this as my drawings are created in a old version of Corel Draw, and I export them to make them internet usuable. I can choose the dpi for the drawings.
Where can I find the software for png drawings? It may already be on my computer, but I don't know. I am using Windows XP home edition.
Thanks,
Ned

"The Gimp" is a nice opensource software program for image editing. It's free and there is a windows version which I use all the time. It has a lot of the same features as photoshop, though it's a little buggy for serious work it's great for image conversion and low to mid end editing. And unlike Photoshop's 600+ buck pricetag it's free =)

DPI isn't so important, the total resolution of the file is more important. 50-100dpi or so is usually fine, if you want someone to be able to do a high quality prints of it do 300dpi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back