iMotor Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

Hopefully the experienced members know that if you connect a motor up to a Audio output, you can hear the music or sound eminate from the Stator. That is exactly what iMotor will do. it will be a ipod or CD speaker sound system using motors for a cool effect. It may seem kind of pointless, seeing how speakers are more efficent, but this is a experiment. THe problem is, is that it is very quiet, and the objective is, is to make it much louder. Try it out for yourself. Should I just connect it up to a audio amp?

Use an equalizer to adjust the frequencies as you like to hear them.
The high inductance of the motor might kill the amplifier.
A motor makes a lousy speaker.
If you want a speaker then use a speaker.

I'd think some sort of filter would help. The motor wants DC, but you are feeding it a complex signal. Simplify the signal so the motor isn't fighting itself so much. Guessing the higher frequencies would be heard anyway. Might look into a frequency to voltage converter.

More voltage, usually means more smoke, sometimes flames...

A stepper motor might be a good option. I've seen people using scanner drives to make simple toned music.

I would like to interrupt

GOD made all things logically to use them logically.
We waste our time to use certain things which are not made for that purpose.
I would like to suggest that you all are very expierienced persons, why you are wasting your time in doing this. Instead you can meke great speakers. not a great motor for sound generation. Please don't mind if i wrote something wrong!!

This is silly. Of course there is a "right" answer. You're ignoring the fun to be had in doing things the "wrong" way sometimes. This is how new musical instruments are created, for instance.

Nobody is trying to reproduce Wagner using this setup. It's just an experiment.

Anyway, it's not a particularly new idea. I remember when folks were programming C64 floppy drives to play beats and tones. It actually sounded pretty cool but you wouldn't use it to play a CD on. It makes its own instrument.

Torben

There have been many times that I have been told “You can’t do that!” after I had done it.
I enjoy a challenge. Pointless isn’t the point. Especially with electronics, your imagination is the only limitation. You can be very creative, and even if you let the magic smoke out of a few components, it only cost you a few bucks if you didn’t get the parts from your junk pile.

Its really silly

I don't know how pays for these silly experiments???
I think for them money grows on the tree...Or the have farms of money plant....
I think if this money has been spent for poor countries then that will be better use of money.
Can you count money of govenment for these silly practicles?

" We do not value of what we have, we know the value of what we dont"

A motor driven speaker diaphragm is a popular concept among the super-loud super-accurate audio crowd. Google(tm) servo contrabass. Mostly used below 125 Hz.

1. I think that was very rude
2. I can because I have the resources and the stuff to do it
3. My grandfather came directly from Ireland and brought only the clothes on his back. He worked his ass off and he made us successful.
4. Why not? it is a good learning experience.
5. So you want me to give you all my money for what? What can you do that is so amazing?

**broken link removed** is a good explanation of what generally happens to money spent on poor countries.

It is not wrong for me or the OP or anyone else to take what's on their bench and do what they will with it, as long as they're not hurting anyone.

Are you really trying to say that hobbies should be abolished? If not, explain. Because that's what we're talking about.

What governments do is not part of the question. If you think governments are paying for this poster to make music with cheap motors, then you're quite frankly mad. It's a different topic entirely.

Why are you posting here instead of out doing something productive for someone less fortunate than yourself? Put your money where your mouth is: sell your computer and give the money to the poor.

Anyway, this topic has now long since passed "Off Topic". If you would like to continue the conversation please IM me.

Torben

When Edison was working on the light bulb, someone said he must be getting discouraged because he wasn’t making any progress. Edison said he’d been making great progress, because now he knew twenty thousand materials that you couldn’t use for a filament.
Think of all the money he wasted experimenting.

Sorry to join up late, but using motor coils for communication is not silly and useless. As we have moved from analog to digital and MCU controllers for motors, there is a need to program such controllers for specific applications or conditions. Modern controllers for model aircraft and cars almost all use the motor coils for communication and stick movements or buttons for programming. It saves space and weight on the controller for something that is only done rarely. Audio fidelity is not an issue. John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…