Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey ron i was looking at this IR emitter tell me what you think about it. can it work for the same application it might be better.
AVAGO TECHNOLOGIES|HSDL-9100-021|Photo Diode | Newark.com

This is the data sheet for what you linked to. That is a single package emitter and detector that works on a reflective basis. The maximum effective range is about 60 mm or 2.4 inches. It is also a SMD (Surface Mount Device) meaning you will need some SMD mounting and soldering skills. A device like this would typically be used to detect the presence of something like when we load a CD or DVD in a front load CD or DVD player for example.

Tell me what exactly your goal is here, what exactly do you want the finished circuit to do?

Yes, the 1.5 K is correct as I wanted to limit the current through the photo transistor, we are only looking at getting a voltage of the collector to drive a gate. I also limited the current through the transmitter for basic test purposes. It works as drawn.

My guess is that in early experimenting you may have damaged the IR transmitter. Have you tried just aiming a remote like a TV remote at the receiver and looking for activity?

Ron

Yes thing is I tried already. I. Bought a new emitter and detector pair so it is fresh with the circuit you have me. I also tried a remote it does gnot really make a difference thne only thing I think that is different is that the 47ohm resistor does not have a quarter watt rating you think that might be the issue.

Yes thing is I tried already. I. Bought a new emitter and detector pair so it is fresh with the circuit you have me. I also tried a remote it does gnot really make a difference thne only thing I think that is different is that the 47ohm resistor does not have a quarter watt rating you think that might be the issue.

No, the power rating of the resistor shouldn't matter. I have a few things to do (off work for the weekend) but will get back to you later. Also, if you would share your location it may help. I assume US? Since you have radio shack. :) Again, what is the ultimate goal with this?

Ron

yes i amactually in the united states, north louisiana to be exact. well the ultimate goal of the project is to use a digital logic circuit like the one you provided that is triggered by the ir detector/emitter pair. the output of that digital logic circuit will turn on a relay which will in turn switch on the lights.........i will post the full schematic later this weekend and you can tell me what you think.... also i used part of your circuit which consisted of the two quad input nand gates... i would also like you to explain how you derived them if thats not too much trouble....

My bad and sorry I lost the thread. Still haven't a clue why it won't work for you. I will post again after work today.

Ron

OK, I still obviously haven't a clue why your setup won't work. I can do this if you want. I'll mount an emitter and receiver on a small board with a 7400 gate and just send you a working version. I don't want anything in return as in free. Then you can mess with it and work from there.

Ron

that would be great. i would sure appreciate that... anything that would help... i have a few of them to setup so i would sure like to look at this.

No problem I replied to your PM.

Ron

Ok, I think this does what you want: It takes four states, therefore two state variables: X,Y. Two inputs, A,B. The output can be taken from either Y, or X~ (Xnot).

I implemented it using Set-Reset FlipFlops constructed out of Nand gates. It works with either overlapping and non-overlapping A and B.

Ok well I guess the question was not for you afterall but was for mike rather. I just wanted to know how this logic was generated to obtain the combination. As I used it because it does what I want but I don't fully understand it. That question is for mike though.

hey ron,

i got that package. again thank you very much for the effort you have put into this. i tried connecting it and getting an output and there seems to be no significant change in output. it only stays at milivolts. I did however get an output at the collector of the transistor and it works perfectly swinging between .9v to 4.5 volts. question, do you ave a schematic of the whole setup.

hey ron,

i got that package. again thank you very much for the effort you have put into this. i tried connecting it and getting an output and there seems to be no significant change in output. it only stays at milivolts. I did however get an output at the collector of the transistor and it works perfectly swinging between .9v to 4.5 volts. question, do you ave a schematic of the whole setup.

Glad it arrived and now you see what it is about. The only change you should see is at the output of the photo transistor and of course the 7400 NAND gate. Glad it arrived and now you have a toy to work with.

<EDIT> Schematic? I think I may have posted one back in the thread somewhere. Actually the little board is pretty basic if you look at it. Resistor in series with the IR Emitter and Resistor in series with the collector of the photo transistor. THe IR Emitter cathode to common and the transistor emitter to common. The .9 volts you see will vary with ambient light and how well the emitter is aimed.
</EDIT>

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back