Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it ok to ground my desk ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello pals

I have a little home studio and I plugged everything into a powerbar and I noticed that the whole base of my desk is all conductive. So I took one of those round things that you press a wire into... (I dunno what its called but you press it with the stripper at the blue dot to jam the wire in). Anyway, it linked the wire from a ground pong entering the powerbar to a screw of my desk.

Also, there it's all carpet in the room. Sometimes carpet and static are friends I think.. So was I correct in doing this and will it help eliminate buzz/hum in my studio speakers ? Or even security... a couple of power wire cross the metal bars.

..Or is it just useless ? :)

Last edited:
If you aren't going to open the chassis of your stereo, then I'd say it's useless. But, if you're going to do service, then it might be of some use. You could connect a ground stip to your desk if you're working on ESD sensitive components. Otherwise, no.

If you do ground the desk put a 1MΩ resistor in series between the desk and the ground as a safety precaution. Commercial ground mats always have a similar resistance in series with the ground so that if you accidentally touch the AC lines voltage there's not a direct connection through your body to the ground. A 1MΩ resistor is sufficient to safely drain away any static electricity.

Well there's my computer that I sometimes leave the door open (the tower has a door) but I don't work it it while powered. But this room sometimes has a lot of static.

Now that it's done, would it be better that I take it off or it won'T change a thing?

edit: thanks crutschow, however i only have 1/4W resistors, is it ok

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back