Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to make a gate level digital wrist watch

Fluffyboii

Hi,
Ever since I designed and simulated a digital watch with logic gates for one of my electronics classes in university I had this urge to take that design and make it reality with only transistors. Not even logic gates or flip flops. I did find that it is already done my different individuals and it is not an easy feat.

Anyway I am super into digital watches for the past year or so. I simply like telling the precise time at a simple glance and I love the unusual shape and sizes some digital watches have. Today the idea of making my own digital wrist watch got stuck on my mind. Obviously the easiest way to do it would be to get a microprocessor, few small 8 bit displays, rtc module for precise time keeping, slamming all of that in a 3d printed case. Even doing that would be a feat in itself.
Unfortunately using something like an Arduino, taking the Atmega something processor from it feels wrong. People make smartwatches with lots of functionality with those and just simple time keeping with it would make me sad. I could get a less powerful microprocessor and try to code in assembly to torture myself but I am not in that mood.
Using transistor level logic would never fit in a wrist watch form factor, I wonder if using smd versions of logic gate chips, flip flops, multiplexers, etc. would make it possible to fit in a wrist watch or do I need to get counter ICs and other more complex ICs for it to fit. Today most wrist watches that are digital have a small mcu, a quartz crystal with an inductor, few caps and resistors and thats it. Pretty boring and unrepairable.

I am also curious about when something stops being analog. Analog circuits are fascinating. I also want to make a calculator with all solid state components but analog in design. Adding and subtracting with op amps is easy enough but multiplication is difficult :( Obviously having it all solid state requires using some kind if led display which requires a dac at some point. Can something similar be done with a watch, nearly fully analog except the display. This is bit off topic from my initial wrist watch idea but is it possible to make a watch with a led display that does all the time keeping with an analog circuitry, just for the sake of it. Something like a RC circuit that charges a capacitor until a voltage threshold is passed that the triggers a comparator for example to keep time. I never truly understood when some circuit truly becomes digital.

This is just my random thoughts at 5am.
Edit: I just searched bit more and a microprocessor less watch requires immense amount of logic elements just as I remember that will definitely not fit in a small package unless I use ICs to do most of the hard work.

Last edited:
I have an original "tuning fork" Bulova that literally hums along, but you can occasionally find those quite cheaply.
The price on those new ones is crazy, but they are technically interesting!

I have an original "tuning fork" Bulova that literally hums along, but you can occasionally find those quite cheaply.
The price on those new ones is crazy, but they are technically interesting!
I checked out the prices of those tuning fork ones on Ebay but the coolest looking "space view" ones were 300+ euros. Maybe one day I get one. Meanwhile I made this coil.

1723912678267.png
1723912784755.png

Inside is hollow like I explained yesterday. This produces measly 2mV AC from what I can tell with my multimeter, Even if I seperated the copper strands and connected all of them in series to increase the turn count it would not produce more than 10mV. Absolutely useless like I thought it would be.
I wonder if it is because the magnet orientation is wrong.

I tried with this coil gun coil I wound long ago and a long magnet and it produced 50mV AC when I move it inside of it. Could probably produce 100mV AC if I were to shake the magnet really fast in it. But that solenoid is obviously too big to be anything practical.
1723912858730.png

Other than that I have these very fragile 5V bare solar panels I bought from China really long ago. They are extremely hard to solder for some reason and break very easily. I wonder if I can intentionally break these from the middle to make them smaller. I doubt it gets any meaningful voltage in indoor lighting though.
1723913175393.png

Ok after destroying few of these I can say that making a clean cut on these panels is near impossible even though people on videos seem to be able to split these by scoring a clean cut with a ruler and razor then snapping them clean, whenever I tried that panels just exploded randomly. These are 0.5V not 5V. If I can make the panels bit shorter it would fit in a watch form factor but idk how without exploding them. They always cut parallel to the lines but I need the lines to be shorter a bit as well. I guess the length of the lines determine the voltage and the amount of parallel lines determine the current output.
1723916494101.png

It just does not work for me.

Last edited:

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back