Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IV converter circuit for solar radiaiton meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellie7r

hi!
i am a newbie and am designing a solar radiation meter using PIC 16F876. Using a small solar cell array, i am suppose to measure its current in terms of voltage. therfore i need a current to voltage amplifier which then will connect to a data amplifier (consisting of 4 op amps in total).

I know the how the rough circuit is like but i am not sure how the actual cirucit will be. Have not deal with such multistage op amp before. The output voltage should have a max of 5V only (to be measured by the PIC after an AD conversion. Any help please?

Thanx!

To measure current you simply measure the voltage drop across a resistor in series with the load. In order to minimise losses, this resistor would normally be a low value (depending on the current involved), and you would use an opamp to amplify the voltage to a suitable level to feed the A2D in the PIC.

For an example, a 1 ohm resistor would drop 1V at 1A, and you would need a gain of 5 to give your 5V maximum reading for the PIC. However, 1V is probably far too much to lose, so using a 0.1 ohm resistor and a gain of 50 would only lose 100mV. The maths involved is pretty simple!.

If your opamp and PIC circuit is seperately powered, this makes things a LOT easier, if it's a common power source things get more complicated!.

You might have a look at my analogue tutorial, which could be easily extended to do what you want!.

One thing you haven't mentioned is your load?, a great deal will depend upon that!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back