Labelling project boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec_t

Most Helpful Member
You've built your circuit, you've got the box for it. What about labelling the box front?
Try this:-
1) Create your artwork full-size with graphics software, then flip the image horizontally to give a mirror image.
2) Cut along the 'hinge' of a laminating pouch, thus creating two sheets.
3) Using an ink-jet printer ( NOT a laser printer ) print your artwork on the adhesive-coated surface of one of the sheets.
4) When the ink has THOROUGHLY dried, align the sheet ink-side down on the box and trim off any surplus.
5) If switches etc will protrude through the box then cut appropriate holes in the sheet.
6) Re-align the sheet then, taking care not to move it, iron it on to the box with a domestic clothes iron at a moderate heat setting (some experimenting to find the right setting may be necessary).
7) Allow the sheet/box to cool undisturbed.

Alec

Sounds like a great ideal. Have you tried it. If so, got any pictures. I would love to see how it turned out for you.

Here is what I do:
I do an overlay of the frontpanel in my pc-board program and take it to a photographic place to make a negative, imulsion side down (towards the support panel). The visible surface is cross-hatched with fine sandpaper to the desired texture and than satin laqured. The back areas are covered with masking tape, than spray-painted. This requires several steps if you use different colours. In the sample shown (a 4-gang American standard-sized electrical plate cover) we use gold and red (and unpainted for LEDs). The negative is attached with spray contact cement to the support plate.
This looks professional and we use a number of custom made pieces of test equipment with thes front-panels for over 15 years.

Attachments

• S980FP.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 344
Here's my method: admittedly not the best, but I make do with what materials and machines I have.

Lay out the artwork right-reading, full-size (I use Corel Draw). Print either on self-adhesive label stock or plain paper (I use a laser printer).

If plain paper, I use 3M spray adhesive to stick the paper to the panel.

In either case, when the artwork is adhered to the panel, I cover it with a clear plastic laminating sheet.

You can also print directly onto the laminating sheet with a laser printer, but this isn't as permanent, as the toner can eventually wear off. Covering it with clear plastic makes it pretty indestructible.

This may not be as inexpensive but you can't touch the quality and durability.
**broken link removed**

@MEJY1988
Yes, I've used it successfully. One project only so far (and I no longer have that, so sorry no pic).

3) Using an ink-jet printer ( NOT a laser printer ) print your artwork on the adhesive-coated surface of one of the sheets.
Alec

I have a dumb question about this - How do you keep the adhesive from sticking to the paper feed rolls in the printer?

It doesn't stick, because laminator sheet adhesive (at least, on the sheets I use) is heat-sensitive and is non-sticky at normal room temperature. Perhaps if you live in the tropics it could be an issue! It would certainly be an issue if you used a laser printer !!

Last edited:
So I guess you don't use the laminating sheets that come with a peel-off backing? Those will go through a laser printer with no problem. (In fact, those are the only types I've ever seen or used.)

I'd like to see photos of the results. If it works well it could be very handy to put full coloured decals on panels.

@MrRB
See post #6.
One (fairly obvious) thing I should have added. The artwork has to cover only parts of the laminating sheet, not the whole surface, so that there is enough exposed adhesive to attach the sheet securely to the front panel.

Last edited:
In keeping with being a cheap {see name}:
print a direct (non reversed) image
cut out image outline
roll out 2" wide clear packing tape, sticky side up
Carefully inlay printed image (use 2+ tape widths as req'd)
align & affix to box

Been doing this a Long time, works with any printer. Only trick is dealing with static of tape for inlay stage. Works great indoors, but not weatherproof. G.H. <<<)))

Interesting! I've done them by laser printing onto coloured card paper from the newsagent (you can get silver card etc in project sheet size, it looks brushed metal-like) and gluing it to the panel. Then spraying fast dry clear laquer over it to seal it and provide a water resistant gloss surface.

The laser print won't run when the clear spray is applied (like injet runs), and the metallic coated paper is sealed enough that the laquer doens't soak in before it dries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…