Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

lcd tv hit by lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubleM

i got a phillips lcd 720p tv given to me that was hit by lightning i am told. it wouldnt come on at all. so i took it apart hoping to repair it. when i got inside i found that its 4amp fuse was blown. all the capacitors look good and nothing looks visibly damaged. i replaced the fuse but it still wont come on.
so now im gonna take the circuit board off and start testing components. is worth trying to fix or should i just throw it out?

Rip out any of the more valuable components and junk the rest, test the good stuff to see if it's still okay. Lightning doesn't play well with electronics this is why you use surge protectors with warranties =>

where i work, lightning damage, liquid damage, self-repair, and insect/animal contamination are 4 situations where we refuse the repair, even if it's a cash service tag. often with these, you fix one problem, and find 5 others. with lightning damage, lightning goes wherever it darn well pleases. it's not uncommon to see a blown fuse, a bridge rectifier shorted, any or all input chips shorted, any microprocessors dead, and any number of other random devices shorted, open, leaky, etc.... for instance, with a TV, it's likely the power supply, CPU, HDMI ports, tuner,TCON, and backlight inverters are all toasted. it could even damage the panel itself. by the time you track down all of the failures and replace parts you could have bought a couple of new ones. panels often cost more than a new TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back