Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

lead battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a fairly crude mains-powered charger but will probably do if you're not concerned about battery longevity.

my company is full of red tape, and i guess a few guys(other guys) left their 3or5watt lighter inverters on over night and killed the 12v,

Those must be some really crappy batteries and or vehicles your company uses to have a 5 watt load draw them down in one night. :confused:

Once again none of the numbers, reasoning, or rational logic adds up here. :(

What is the real reason for this endeavor and the real numbers behind what is being done or used? So far we are into this thread 22 posts now and you have yet to give one reasonable level of info or numbers that adds up in any of this. :mad:

You say you have a webcam thing that uses 5 volts at a 1.5 amp draw yet you want to run it all night off of a 6 volt 4.5 amp LA battery which at theoretically perfect power conversion numbers would give you a run time of 3 hours 45 minutes yet the multi tens of Ah or larger 12 volt battery in the vehicle that should easily power it for some 100+ hours can't be used because it somehow runs dead with a 5 watt load overnight?

So what's up here? what is the real reasoning behind all of this other than you apparently have very little knowledge of electrical and electronics ? :confused::(

I swear this is not any cell endeavor,if thats wat you mean, plus camera max current is 1.5amp, i did not worry about actual,

cannot use 12v steady current off engine batteries, i am under scrutiny about this as it is not my truck, i cannot defend what happens with my coworkers but i cannot afford risk, since i got in to it with boss for trying to yank my low power inverter(those were the reasons he gave me) , since i need it around to keep steady charge to my laptop.

also that figure may be miscalculation since this battery says 6v4.5ah /20hrs, i just figured that meant for 20hrs! but i guess per, but that is not a problem since i can put 3or4 in parallel, 12hrs should be fine

your rite , the only real training i have was for an electronics technician, i got a certificate!, i tried for diploma but i lost interest when they had me learn subjects other than computers & electronics) the rest i have is all streets/webs, oh ya and a 24 hour youtube series in a class with a MIT guy who talked about the virtual electronics sandbox, where i did learn alot more about induction and caps.
i hooked 2 6v's in series to 13v@7amp supply and watched current, is all i know, which went up as charging completed (maybe ammeter is fried/bkwrds!??).

i have available a 300watt inverter available that is on periodically but runs almost 8 hrs a day, and with 4 batteries charging in parallel, so i think i am looking for a charge circuit that will work for that,

i think i am afraid because::
what will happen if i am charging 6v too long?
can i not just hook 6vbattery to 7.4vdc (intermittent)supply,
wasn't it said that i need to shut off charger after full charge?

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say you are in over your head with this. :(

Why exactly do you feel you need to have a personal webcam running overnight in a company vehicle again? :confused:

Then why not mount the webcam on the house and run it from mains power?

Then why not mount the webcam on the house and run it from mains power?

This is the way my system is set up.

PIR mounted on the house front covering the car area in the driveway, the PIR when triggered powers the inbuilt light and sounds an in house buzzer, I then have the option of switching on a CCTV monitor that covers the driveway.

Stating the obvious 'Dr' a webcam or CCTV if its not IR, requires area illumination.

E

cos it sits in my driveway

And what exactly are you looking at with it all night that couldn't be seen from another viewpoint that is external of the company vehicle and powered from your own home or a your own correctly designed power source?????? :confused:

This whole endeavor is making less and less sense by the minute. :confused:

WOW you r rite, i am a newb,
current goes down as battery becomes charged, i must have been observing volts accidentally!

thnx for the suggestions guys, but ill be good from here!

see i started my thinking with the side of the house, but as i was going about positioning, i was limited with power options as well, and routing is not preferred, since its not MY house either, as in i dont own it, , and cam is exposed to elements, i was thinking that inside truck could be beneficial, since again , then it can come with me when im out in fields, and can be easily relocated in long future

plus i was thinking this battery system would be added bonus to give cam a battery backup, i was thinking much like home alarm systems i see. wifi btw

If it's a company vehicle why do you want the webcam? Surely it's up to the company to provide security for the vehicle?

here is a view of the driveway, camera is not waterproof and limited for power options, so i figure it will be easier to put in truck is all, it will just be added bonus to have around when im in the field.

Attachments

• driveway.jpg
    driveway.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 156
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back