Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM1084 Minimum Load Current Specs: Is it ok to go beyond its specifed Max Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackshadow

i'm a little bit confused on this spec, "Minimum Load Current" to maintain load regulation for voltage regulators (LM1084).

on its datasheet, it has TYP value of 5mA and a MAX value of 10mA. No MIN value is given. See attached snapshot of the datasheet.

since the specs is "Minimum Load Current", can i go past the 10mA value, say 20mA?

Attachments

• LM1084 Current specs.JPG
    LM1084 Current specs.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 147
since the specs is "Minimum Load Current", can i go past the 10mA value, say 20mA?
That regulator can have a load up to 5 amps. What the "Minimum Load Current" is telling you is that you must draw at least 5-10mA for the output voltage to be what you expect (i.e. device is regulating the output voltage correctly). This is why R1 in datasheet diagram is ~100 ohms - it forces the load current to be >10mA always.

The "MAX" value is a little confusing. It means that this is the Minimum Load Current value that will maintain regulation for the worst-case tolerance production device (such a device would require the MAX current rather than TYP).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back