Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Locating exact break in heating wire under floor tiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartbiz

Hi All :)

I need a schematic for a gadget that can locate the EXACT point where a heating wire element is broken beneath floor tiles . I have built many detectors like FOX & HOUND tracers , SIGNAL GENERATORS & DETECTORS etc. All work ok if i probe VERY near the wire , but fail hopelessly once the wire is under a floor tile with cement , screet etc.

I am currently using an imported frequency generator & detector , but i cannot copy the circuit as the warranty seals are intact & my manager refuses to let me tamper with them :confused:

This unit works extremely well , can anyone please help in this regard ?

Any help will be appreciated ;)

BTW : GREAT FORUM :D

Try a google on Time Domain reflectometer. You might find a DIY TDR. I did a quick search and found a few, can't say how well they would work.

A metal detector can yield a good path of the heating element but will not reveal the opening in the circuit.
If the fox&hound does not work, first make triple sure the end element connections/splices to the power source are truly powered by paralleling a plain light bulb, not measuring with a meter.

Come back with findings/progress/solution... :(

Miguel

Yes, TDR.

Or put high AC voltage (like from a neon sign transformer or an electronic air cleaner power supply) low current into the wire and detect the arcing with an AM radio.

Last edited:
Put mains on it and use a live wire detector to find the break.

If you can get it to arc,
then i think a small radio could pin it down quite closely.

Or maybe you could hear the arcing.

Best of luck with it, John :)

(and post a reply please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back