Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Missile Tail's Fins and Wings Control System

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvenlws

I want to design an electronic control circuit to control the Missile Tail's fins and wings. So, a suitable and economical radar system must be designed to detect the moving object. Once the object has been detected, the control circuit in the missile body must be able to rotate the tails and wings to the correct direction. This will control the flight of the missile to give fast impact!

The moving of the missile is not required. It will only follow the object direction.

Anybody have any idea on the radar system part??

elvenlws said:
I want to design an electronic control circuit to control the Missile Tail's fins and wings.

Hi elvenlws,

before you go into electronic details you should learn something about missiles. Missiles, no matter if SAM (surface to air) or AA (air to air) never have wings. Wings would unnecessarily slow them down and having a limited amount of solid propellant they wouldn't intercept any target.

They usually move at a speed of Mach 3.5+ and pull as much as 50g to fly a collision course towards the target even if it makes evasive maneuvres.

On the other hand, why do you have to have a tracking radar if you don't intend to fire a missile?

Radar missiles are usually quite heavy and the ground equipment requires an acquisition radar, a target tracking radar and a missile tracking radar. The missile is homing semi-active into the target.

A cheaper way is using IR-missiles like a Stinger. They are fired from a one-man operated launcher and once locked onto the target they are considered to be "fire-and-forget" missiles unless the target uses IR-flares to screw up the missile's homing system. You might take a course about Stingers in Afghanistan.

HtG

Let's not tell our unknown members how to build a auto targeting missile? What if they fill it with something and then launch it? And why would you go into details?

Boncuk said:
Missiles, no matter if SAM (surface to air) or AA (air to air) never have wings.
HtG

I think you forget about the cruise missiles and earlier versions of interceptor (SAM) missiles. John

jpanhalt said:
I think you forget about the cruise missiles and earlier versions of interceptor (SAM) missiles. John
hi,
And dont forget the V1 'flying buzz bombs' of WW2, the cruise missile was developed using technology from the original V1!.

elvenlws said:

It is completely beyond your means or anyone's elses means on this board. It's hard enough to find a simple radar rangefinder (costs $3-$5 at least), let alone a tracker. Just use a photodetector array so the rocket aims itself towards the sun. Stick with trying to fit steering electronics on model rockets (it's hard enough) and stay away from tracking systems.

Last edited:
I doubt that you could get even a model rocket to fly straight, let alone a missle and it's targeting/tracking system.

Don't some of you people get suspicious when a new poster (a post count of 1 or 2) comes in this place asking for such controversial project details? Now here's a thread worth removing considering that a professional scientist/researcher employed by a legal ballistics company wouldn't need to post such a request on the internet in the first place. Something stinks here and it's not rocket propellent fumes! Even the hardcore model rocketeers who are launching rockets far up aren't concerned with tracking and targeting systems. They have their hands full with good trajectory, safe launches, and obtaining proper clearances and permission with local or gov. agencies during "field days".

Hello, Nigel? What say? I can only wonder if the NSA is aware of this place? They should be!

Last edited:
The way I see it is if you have to ask how to build somthing as complicated as a radar guided missle, theres no way your going to be able to actually produce a working product.

Do any of you pro's think you could even do this with no million dollar budget?

Seems like asking asking about how to do brain surgery when you've never even disected a frog.

Hi, some Radars use a Klystron instead of a Magnetron. These are commonly found in Microwave Ovens. There are some handy capacitors in there as well.
You might want to try and play around with those as well!
Good luck, RH

HiTech said:
I doubt that you could get even a model rocket to fly straight, let alone a missle and it's targeting/tracking system.

Don't some of you people get suspicious when a new poster (a post count of 1 or 2) comes in this place asking for such controversial project details? Now here's a thread worth removing considering that a professional scientist/researcher employed by a legal ballistics company wouldn't need to post such a request on the internet in the first place. Something stinks here and it's not rocket propellent fumes! Even the hardcore model rocketeers who are launching rockets far up aren't concerned with tracking and targeting systems. They have their hands full with good trajectory, safe launches, and obtaining proper clearances and permission with local or gov. agencies during "field days".

Hello, Nigel? What say? I can only wonder if the NSA is aware of this place? They should be!

The topic of this post is a little unlikely to produce anything practical or useful. It's well beyond the means of any private party, and unrealistic to believe there are many here with that kind of experience. I think that most of the response to post point the unlikely production of such a system without a huge amount of time and resources. Anybody remember the price tag of a single Cruise Missle? I don't remember the numbers, but it was shockingly high for something that is single use. Can you imagine how much it would cost to do the research and development? The OP can't be serious about building something like this, with information off the internet hobby forum.

HiTech said:

Perhaps you should try reading the original post properly before you go off on a rant?.

He specifically says it's NOT for anything that needs to fly, I read it as yet another school assignment?.

Guess it was the unfortunate title choice. A motion tracking device would have been less antagonistic... Missiles by definition, are flying objects, no matter how propelled. It's still a very advanced project. Although, my latest project has some similarities...

Don't forget B. F. Skinner. His first project was training pigeons to peck at a contrasting object displayed on a plate. He worked with the Navy (I think) to make a tracking control that would enable a missile to hit an enemy ship. He placed a device using 6 pigeons in the nose of a B-25. It worked well enough that the bomber almost crashed into the test ship.

Don't tell the terrorists how to blow up the sun. We need and like the sun.
Let them blow up themselves (when they are together) instead.

All the terrorists should get on a huge missile that is aimed at the sun.

Unfortunately we no longer need the terrorists to be terrorized. We now do that all by ourselves. :(
If the world launched all it's nuclear missiles into the Sun, you wouldn't even notice the flash.
I think the OP is the Dog from the comic strip "Pooch Cafe'" who wants to launch all the cats into the sun. :D

Nigel Goodwin said:
Perhaps you should try reading the original post properly before you go off on a rant?.

He specifically says it's NOT for anything that needs to fly, I read it as yet another school assignment?.

Hi Nigel,

you're completely right. Osama Bin Laden is getting short of suicide pilots. It's his school project. :D

Primary project is the electronics. The missile thereafter is a piece of cake. :rolleyes:

Boncuk

I recommend Dommasch, Sherby & Connolly, Airplane Aerodynamics for a basic introduction to flight within the atmosphere. Then you can move onto McRuer, Ashkenas & Graham, Aircraft Dynamics and Automatic Control. Pay particular attention to Appendix A on stability derivatives.

Papabravo said:
I recommend Dommasch, Sherby & Connolly, Airplane Aerodynamics for a basic introduction to flight within the atmosphere. Then you can move onto McRuer, Ashkenas & Graham, Aircraft Dynamics and Automatic Control. Pay particular attention to Appendix A on stability derivatives.

Birds don't read that nonsense.:D

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back