More about transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ormo

I know I've been posing many threads about transformers... I promise this is the last for a while

If a transformer has two individual 24VAC secondary windings, can they be connected as follows to create a 24-0-24 centre tapped supply and then rectified into a 33.6V dual power supply?

Code:
 o--@ || @--24V-------┐
    @ || @            |  ____
    @ || @---0V---┐   | |    |
230 @ ||          ├-┐ └-|~  +|------┬--- + 33.6 V
VAC @ || @--24V---┘ |   | BR |      |
    @ || @          | ┌-|~  -|--┐   |
 o--@ || @---0V-----]-┘ |____|  |   =  <-- Filter cap, perhaps 4,700 uF
                    |           |   |
                    |           |   |
                    └-----------]---+---   0 V
                                |   |
                                |   |
                                |   =
                                |   |
                                |   |
                                └---┴--- - 33.6 V

Again please excuse the ASCII art as opposed to actual drawings.

Last edited:
Or would it make more sense to perform full wave rectification on both and then combine the two 33.6V outputs?

Or would it make more sense to perform full wave rectification on both and then combine the two 33.6V outputs?

Apples and oranges. The circuit you drew provides two independent voltages a positive one and a negative one. The second one you propose would give one voltage but at twice the current. Same total wattage capability in both cases.

Lefty

Yes, you can put them in series if you go with the two bridge rectifier method. You just put the 2nd bridge rectifiers + output to the gnd output of the first.

The only reason to do this is if you need really high current, or if you plan to use the two-positive-regulators trick to get regulated + and - rails using identical positive regulators (since some regulators don't have negative equivalents).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…