motorbike led turn indicator for rear view mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

student1616

hello all,
as the title says,i want to make led based turn indicator for my motorbike rear view mirrors.
pls have a look at the below pic :
**broken link removed**

so when i power on the circuit the led's shld glow in pattern of 1+2+3+4+5+6
and when i reset the power same pattern shld repeat.

why i said power bcz,i'll connect this circuit parallel to the turn indicator.so when when i switch on turn indicator those led's will glow one by one.

can u guys help me with the circuit.
(smaller is preferred so that it will fit in the rear view mirror housing)
thanks in advance

simply use a 555 to generate clock for a counter that counts (1 3 7 15 ...)
i.e, (0001 0011 0111 1111 ...) in binary.Or SIMPLY use a microcontroller or a PIC..

thanks.
iam kinda dumb at understanding logic stuff.
can u guide me towards some circuit idea,so that i can build one.

Do you want only one LED to be on at a time , or do you want each one to stay on until the sequence starts over?

yes the 2nd one.
1+2+3+4+5+6 these will stay on.and when i reset the power the sequence will start from 1.

Steev/student1616, how come you have two identities? Is one your alter ego?

steev said:
yes the 2nd one.
1+2+3+4+5+6 these will stay on.and when i reset the power the sequence will start from 1.
Seems like some sort of flashing would be more likely to get your attention.

Use 6 small npn transistors with the emiter to ground, connect a 470 ohm in series with a led to each transistor's colector to the +ve line. Now connect a 2,2k resistor to each transistor base. Now find 5 zener diodes with aprox. equal value spacing between 5,1v and 8,5v (eg. 5.1 5.6 6.2 7.5 and 8.5) you can adjust values later. Connect these zeners in reverse bias in series with the 2,2k resistors to the base of the transistors. 1º transistor no zener, 2º 5.1, 3º 5.6...... 6º 7.5. Connect the cathodes of these zeners together with the base resistor of the 1º tr. You now have 6 leds that will be triggered by a raising voltage in the "base node". Now connect a 470 uF 25V electrolytic capacitor - to ground, + in series with a 10Kohm trimmer to +ve line, connect a 1n4001 diode in paralell with the trimmer cathode to +ve 12v, anode to capacitor side. When you power up, the capacitor slowly charges through the trimmer and fast discharges through the diode. Now connect the "base node" to the capacitor, trimmer, diode junction.

System theory: when the system is energised, the 470uF capacitor charges through the trimmer, as it reaches the zener voltages, it triggers the transistors. The 1º transistor does not have a zener so it lights up almost immideatly. You can regulate the speed by adjusting the trimmer. When you power down the capacitor quickly discharges through the diode. The system is ready for next cycle.

I hope you understand. Pardon my spelling.

let me explain.
the project we are working.is modification of motorcycle.
for this college project i(student1616) created 2 logins to this forum.i kept this login for myself,and use it at home and the other login we use it at college.some time i post the replies from college itself.there the mistake happens.
and way i hope u guys don't mind.

@Helder Ferreira
thanks for the detail explanation.iam trying to make a rough circuit diagram,for what u explained.if u have the same pls do share with me,i'll compare it with my circuit diagram.

So what do you do you decide you wanna do it with transistors , 555timers or with pic/microcontroller ???

if do it with microcontroller you will need the follwing:

1-AT89C51 (Atmel microcontroller)

2-12 mHz crystal,two 33pF ceramic capacitors, 8.2K ohm resistor, 10uF electrolyte capacitor. These all are for running the microcontroller

3- 6 leds

4- LM7805 (voltage regulator to convert 12 V to 5V)

5- 6~10 lines of code in assembly or C language

thanks for the response.
exactly saying iam still thinking what to do.as i said space is a big issue for me,what do u suggest.
i have some pic's and a PIC programmer with me.like PIC16f84,10f200,16f628 etc..
these are my friends stuff,still i can uses them for my project.
if this project can be done with 555(less in size) pls suggest me some circuit(rough diagram).

yes i planned for ultra bright orange colored LEDs.as the turn indicators has to be orange in color.

using 555, you will need 1 555 ic 1 regulator ic 1counter ic a couple of resistor and capacitors(to set the timing factor of the 555)

if you use a pic(small size) all you need is a pic ic regulator and a couple of capacitors.

i was worrying that u might not have knowledge regarding the (pIC/ Microcontroller) but if u have pics available its the best option considering reliablity and less space. i think you need 1 hour to finish this project(starting from scratch)

the circuit you mentioned is perfect for you. the only thing bad is that it is step counter (i.e it counts 1,2,4,8, 16, 32 ..) your leds will glow like this

but what you need is

You need a diffrent counter i.e replace the 4017 ( sequence/stage counter ) with appropriate one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…