Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My School Project is to Design a Step-down Transformer 200V to 50V,200W. EI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you understand how a transformer work?? Google can help here.

Then is a matter of dividing 200 by 50 (4:1) this will give you your turns ratio between primary windings and secondary windings.

Now you need to figure out your wire sizes to suit your current needs.

Dont forget to factor in the efficiency of the core used.

Google should be able to help fill in the gaps.

Hmm, I'm not really familliar when it comes to transformer designing. o_O What do you think is the wire size that would fit in it? thanks a lot.

My tip is: read the information your teacher gave you. Do the work as far as you can, then ask for help while showing us your work.

Last edited:
Anyone can help or give me some tips?

I really need it. please email me. jerrant0t@yahoo.com.

thanks!

I'm really beginning to Wonder What they actually Teach you?
Seems to me they would have given you the Basics of this, Before asking you to design one.

Turns Ratio is 4 : 1
The Exact number of Turns Depends on AC Frequency and the Specific Core Material and its size.

50 Volts at 200 Watts = 4 Amps on the Secondary.
4 Amps at 700 Circular Mils/amp = 15 AWG wire
(As per Wire Charts, 700 Circular Mils per Amp is a Reasonable Design Value)
Excluding Efficiency, Your Primary Current will be 1 Amp and require a wire gauge of 21 AWG.

This Should get you started.

Gary

We had given a new instruction, we will make 220Vac,100W,3Amp,60Hz,12Vdc instead. We also had the procedure, what we're gonna do now is to follow it. but, I think I'll be needing your help to check it. Please tell me if this is correct.

1.From specified output dc voltage compute the total voltage across the 1 secondary;
Esn = 2.35 x Edc
(since we're aiming to produce 12V.)
Esn = 2.35 x 12V
= 28.2Volts.

this is the first part of the procedure. how do find it?
thanks!

The teacher is teaching nothing but is changing the design.
The students know absolutely nothing.
So let the students fail and repeat the course hopefully with a better teacher.

If you want 12 Volts DC Out, than using Full Wave Rectification, the AC voltage will be about .707 of the DC volts.
So about 8.5 volts on the secondary.

What the heck is this Esn = 2.35?

I Also think you need a NEW Teacher!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back