Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to the world of circuitry and I've run into a problem (atari punk console)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm too old for this stuff, since I have no idea what a punk console is supposed to do.

I do know 555's however, and I have serious doubts the layout as shown will ever accomplish much.

First, the set-up is backwards, I believe. The monostable is supposed to trigger the astable. According to the layout (a very pretty picture, by the way) and Eric's interpretation of the schematic, this circuit attempts to trigger the mono with the astable.

Analyzing the circuit with the 555 Timer Pro computer program, it appears the astable 555 would produce a frequency between 287 Hz at maximum resistance, and 47KHz (20K or so above normal hearing, I believe) with just a small resistance.

If that were to make it to the mono, and to the speaker or jack, the tone would sound for 27 milliseconds at the mid-point of the mono's controlling resistor.

Don't mean to throw cold water on your project, but I feel you have lots of work left getting it to operate. Hope I'm wrong in my analysis, and I'm here to help if I can.

Edit:
Also, the LED will never show very brightly at around l.5 mA current.

i appreciate the input. i mean i've had doubts from the beginning so no worries, heh. i came here hoping for faults to be pointed out. i'm basing it on various 555 schematics i come across that match up with erics but the 555 has various uses so im probably just getting things mixed up. it's supposed to be a tone generator. the square tone is reminiscent of old video game sound chips so its called atari punk console.

argh i feel im just making the same thing over again

the guy hasnt gotten around to building it himself
anyone have any input on the design? it'd be much appreciated
sorry if i seem pushy

hi,
This often happens with circuits from the web, the 'designer' [ a very loose term] never actually builds the project to check any problems that may exist.
Whats more insulting the 'designer' often slaps a copyright notice on the drawing.. don't make me laugh..:rolleyes:

Why didnt you use my 'neat' drawing of the original circuit rather than your pencilled hard to read drawing..:)

Can you explain to an 'old guy' what you expect the output of the circuit to be..??

Last edited:
hi,
This often happens with circuits from the web, the 'designer' [ a very loose term] never actually builds the project to check any problems that may exist.
Whats more insulting the 'designer' often slaps a copyright notice on the drawing.. don't make me laugh..:rolleyes:

Why didnt you use my 'neat' drawing of the original circuit rather than your pencilled hard to read drawing..:)

Can you explain to an 'old guy' what you expect the output of the circuit to be..??

I drew the layout according to your schematic. like i traced the schematic and tried to think how the wires should go, which i got help from other diagrams.

My intentions for the output is analog synth basically, i make electronic music. I intend to use it as a tone source into my computer where everything else is made to which i would alter it further. with the building and research of this box I hope to be better grasp the science and try more and larger projects for same string of use. think of it as me trying to build my own moog. while sure the computers job is to do the same thing but i think we can all agree that there is a different kind of essence to using analog hardware.

found this diagram

**broken link removed**

you can see compared to mine the flow is backwards but otherwise the placement is the same. it doesnt have anything past the capacitor for output though so idk if i've got that right.

hi narcisto,

The two circuits are almost identical, astable driving a monostable.:)

Which of the two 555's is getting hot and what type of speaker are you using on the output of the monostable.?

Last edited:
ive been busy lately so i havent been able to get back to building this and i think im gonna need to restart it again, does the direction from the battery matter like you see in my drawings its on the opposite side as what i just posted.

it was the astable in both cases.

im not sure exactly what type of speaker it is but it was in a preamp harmon/kardon setup, kinda old. ive used connected it to things with a headphone wire before, i thought it'd be usable here. i dont know how many ohms it is

ive been busy lately so i havent been able to get back to building this and i think im gonna need to restart it again, does the direction from the battery matter like you see in my drawings its on the opposite side as what i just posted.
No that dosn't matter.

it was the astable in both cases.

im not sure exactly what type of speaker it is but it was in a preamp harmon/kardon setup, kinda old. ive used connected it to things with a headphone wire before, i thought it'd be usable here. i dont know how many ohms it is

Hi,
For a test, connect the pin3 of the astable to the pin2 of the monostable with 470R resistor, not just a piece of wire, lets know if it still gets hot..:)

hi narcisto,
Modify the circuit, add this cap and resistor.

Be aware the astable 555 may have already died.:(

EDIT:
For the best effect, the output should be connected to an external amplifier.

Last edited:
hi narcisto,
Modify the circuit, add this cap and resistor.

Be aware the astable 555 may have already died.:(

EDIT:
For the best effect, the output should be connected to an external amplifier.

I will try to get to fixing the rest tonight maybe
what is the significance of this change by the way?

I will try to get to fixing the rest tonight maybe
what is the significance of this change by the way?

hi,
Read thru this extract from the 555 data.

Last edited:
whats up guys long time no post
I've had this project on hold for a while. not really looking to start it up again soon, but just thought I'd show other projects I've been working on. Ultimately they will all be going together

First I'll let you guys guess the purpose of these devices :)

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

shoddy photos but you get the gist.
Both are functional but still a little over 50% completion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back