Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie transistor question

Status
Not open for further replies.
That circuit will take about 6 to 10 mA roughly. That means that base currents on the order of 10 to 30 microamps or so will partially turn on the transistor, doesn't it? Would we get these kinds of emitter-base currents if there is only 400 mV across this junction?

Last edited:
RadioRon said:
That circuit will take about 6 to 10 mA roughly. That means that base currents on the order of 10 to 30 microamps or so will partially turn on the transistor, doesn't it? Would we get these kinds of emitter-base currents if there is only 400 mV across this junction?

That was the reason I suggested putting a resistor across the output.

Mike.

RadioRon said:
According to a simulation of a 2N3906, 400mV Vbe will yield Ib=257.8pA. 700mV gives 27uA.
This is just a sim, but still, 400mV ain't gonna turn a real one on.

How comes he has had two 5.1V zeners connected in series and still manage to turn the PNP transistor ON?

eblc1388 said:
How comes he has had two 5.1V zeners connected in series and still manage to turn the PNP transistor ON?

Yeah, how come? Good question. Even if those zeners had leakage currents on the order of 25 uA or so, pretty much all of that would flow through the 1K ohm resistor and not through the e-b junction so that doesn't explain the turn-on of the transistor.

Dan,

Did you make R5=10K, R4=1K, and change the program so I/O P4 is a high impedance input during the pulser-off periods...as I had suggested back on Jan 27th? I noticed the schematic you posted was my earlier version that indeed had those problems. If my circuit didn't work I would like to know about so I can correct it.

Ken

Last edited:
KMoffett said:
Dan,

Did you make R5=10K, R4=1K, and change the program so I/O P4 is a high impedance input during the pulser-off periods...as I had suggested back on Jan 27th? I noticed the schematic you posted was my earlier version that indeed had those problems. If my circuit didn't work I would like to know about so I can correct it.

Ken
Ken, i went back and looked at all your Jan 27 posts, and I couldn't find any schematics posted.:confused:
I don't think high-impedance is gonna help. The PIC has a diode from each I/O pin to vcc, so the current will flow through that diode, and the voltage will get clamped to +5.7V. It's not like a true open-drain output.

Last edited:
Ron,

I was emailing Dan off-forum. I had supplied my circuit, with an untested output section, in another thread. He came back with the stated problems. I recommended the changes in the attached schematic, and to the program. The last I heard from him it was working. ??? You are right about the diode...forgot about that...thanks! I guess the next step would have been a NPN inverter for isolation between the P4 and R4...and changing the program accordingly. Or, no R6, and a 2N7000 instead of a 2N3904...or a duplicate of the right side's P-MOS and 2N7000.

Ken

Attachments

• PicaxePowerSwitch9V.gif
    PicaxePowerSwitch9V.gif
    28.1 KB · Views: 151
  • PicaxePowerSwitch9VABC.gif
    PicaxePowerSwitch9VABC.gif
    42.8 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Ken,
I didnt forget about you,Ive been having email problems(computer freezes when I try to send) I figured youd drop in on this eventually.
Everything worked fine till I increased the batt voltage.The pulser output was dropping too low before the 2nd cycle had finished.I didnt realize until Pearl started developing a cough again.

Roff said:
Do you mean from the PIC output to GND?

I meant the output of the circuit. Not knowing what a pulser was I thought the leakage current must have been enough to power it.

Mike.

Not switching fast at all. the Zapper is on for 10 min, off for 20, 4x. The zapper output needs to be between 5-10v @ 3khz optimal (+/- 1khz)

Somebody already asked this, but I don't think you answered.
Do you really have to switch the high side? Since the zapper was originally battery powered, I don't see why you can't switch the low side. It will save you a transistor, and a resistor or two.

The original schematic is switched on the high side,but I dont think it really matters as long as The output turns off completely.

If the low side is switched, wouldnt the high side stay energized all the way to the output? If so, then I would rather switch the + side. I dont know if that would affect the treatment.

slopagafud said:
The original schematic is switched on the high side,but I dont think it really matters as long as The output turns off completely.

If the low side is switched, wouldnt the high side stay energized all the way to the output? If so, then I would rather switch the + side. I dont know if that would affect the treatment.
Nope, all you need to do is interrupt the current, and the zapper will turn off. It doesn't matter whether you switch the high side or the low side.

So I guess Im going with the 2N7000 option then. I will have to reverse my logic correct?

slopagafud said:
Not switching fast at all. the Zapper is on for 10 min, off for 20, 4x. The zapper output needs to be between 5-10v @ 3khz optimal (+/- 1khz)

Knowing this, you could make your pic do the whole job. By switching the low side at 3kHz you will get the required output.

Mike.

slopagafud said:
So I guess Im going with the 2N7000 option then. I will have to reverse my logic correct?

Another option.

Attachments

• PicaxePS9V.gif
    PicaxePS9V.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back