Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

package detection on a conveyor belt- HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

folarinv

please does anybody know how i can make a circuit that would detect packages as they move across a conveyor belt. My original idea was to use infra-red path (IR transmit/receive) across the conveyor belt but I have problem interfacing the detector and my counter circuit as infra-red signal is a.c

I think the infrared components are DC components.

The absolute most easiest way you can make a circuit is to do the following:

Hook a super-bright LED (look for a high MCD rating), or better yet, a laser module to a resistor and then to a DC power source. Don't burn the laser or LED. You should have a continuous beam of light.

Now hook up a CDS cell to another power source, an inverter and an indicator all in series.

When the box passes through, the indicator is turned on, provided that you beamed the laser on the cell.

a CDS cell is a photoresistor.

mstechca said:
I think the infrared components are DC components.

The absolute most easiest way you can make a circuit is to do the following:

Hook a super-bright LED (look for a high MCD rating), or better yet, a laser module to a resistor and then to a DC power source. Don't burn the laser or LED. You should have a continuous beam of light.

Now hook up a CDS cell to another power source, an inverter and an indicator all in series.

When the box passes through, the indicator is turned on, provided that you beamed the laser on the cell.

thanks. but my fear with cds circuit is that it could be responding to abient light. I will try it out anyway.

secondly, i think infra-red is A.C. if u use LED to detect infra red u'll see the led blinking

a CDS cell is a photoresistor.

folarinv said:
please does anybody know how i can make a circuit that would detect packages as they move across a conveyor belt. My original idea was to use infra-red path (IR transmit/receive) across the conveyor belt but I have problem interfacing the detector and my counter circuit as infra-red signal is a.c
so you want us to do your JOB for you huh.??some of us here would give their left nut to be doing what you do for a living.

Just to count packages, buy counter H7EC-NV and photoeye E3Z-R86 with polarized reflector such as E39-R1S or whatever. use any small power supply such as S8VS-01524.

I work at UPS, and as the package passes through a 5-10 foot section of the conveyer belts, it weighs it, has the dimensions, and shows a drawing of the package on a computer monitor with the weight, exact dimensions, and animated moving across the conveyer belt... neat stuff.

I'm pretty sure it's all based off of pressure sensors to find the location of the package, and a whole lot of calculations to figure out the exact dimensions, etc. of where it is on the belt.

some other useless info: These particular units also scan the tracking number on the package, hooks up with a central computer and displays all the information on the package (what it's supposed to weigh, etc.), along with a few other cool things. These things take an incredible amount of abuse with packages ranging from <1lb up to 150lb packages crossing it 16-20 hours a day 5 days a week... the units also cost 4 million a peice and the calibration (for weighing and checking the dimensions of the package) is tested at least 4 times a day.

plot said:
I work at UPS, and as the package passes through a 5-10 foot section of the conveyer belts, it weighs it, has the dimensions, and shows a drawing of the package on a computer monitor with the weight, exact dimensions, and animated moving across the conveyer belt... neat stuff.

I only need a circuit that could detect the passage of the packages so that i can count how many have passed. simple- weight and other information is not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back