Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC Light Bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd7jur

Ok so here's my delema...

A few years ago i found a really nice lighting kit (clicky) but never had a reason or the funds to buy it... Now i do the only problem is it is no longer available...

So my idea is to build something that works like this controlling the LED's w/ rheostats. I just cannot find a circuit design to control an LED w/ a rheostat.

the only circuit i've found says 330ohm resistor and an led off of 6V.

The circuit i want to build Will have 4 Tri color LED's (R/G/B) each color controlled by a seperate Channel (by 3 rheostats). This is all powered by a 12V from a PC power supply

Can anybody give me any help with this. I will actually get a chance to test this friday when i go to class and have the test equiptment and my instructor to possibly help me, but i'de like to go in with an idea...

Thanks for any and all help

It's that same as the other circuit, you just replace the resistor with a rheostat. Actually, you still want to have that fixed resistor in series with the rheostat, so that if you turn the resistance down to zero it won't ruin the LED. Use a 360 ohm resistor as the fixed resistor, that will limit the max brightness to less than 30ma off the 12V supply. Use like a 1k or 10k rheostat, the best value depends on the led and how you have them set up.

Ok so i know this is bumping back to the top but i really need some advice (didn't get anything outa my instructor). The concept is to build my own **broken link removed** so any advice would be really appriciated. Also i think i found the LED's i want to use HERE.

So a quick Reference on what i want to be able to do...