pc Speed Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

audioguru

Most Helpful Member
Hi Guys,
I found a little program that calculates pi to umpteen digits of accuracy.
When I select 2M from its upper left, my Pentium4-2.97GHz pc finishes in 1 minute, 43 seconds.
Challenge! :lol:

Attachments

• super_pi.zip
    71.5 KB · Views: 184
I got a Really Slow computer and don't want to try it.

But does it actually Display the answer?

I didn't look for the answer of pi with 2 million numbers following the decimal point. I also guarded my printer in case it accidently tried to print it. I wonder if it is using much of my hard-drive.

My son's laptop is fairly new, and took about twice as long as my pc.

The fan on my pc speeds-up when it is number-crunching. A Norton scan also gets it hot and bothered.

audioguru said:
The fan on my pc speeds-up when it is number-crunching. A Norton scan also gets it hot and bothered.
Does smoke come out its ears when it's thinking?

chemelec said:
I got a Really Slow computer and don't want to try it.

I didn't want to either, but I couldn't resist :lol:

6m 48s on my Pentium 3 1GHz, but with only 100MHz memory :cry:

Now see how long it takes your computer to come up with a practical real-life application for needing "pi" beyond ten decimal places. Ancient Egypt existed on the basis of "pi" = 22/7, a gross approximation. If I need it, I just look it up in a book I have where it's listed to 100,000 decimal places -- still pointless.

The calculation of "pi" doesn't take but a simple reiterative loop (was that right from the Department of Redundancy Department or not?) that gradually sharpens the calculation's precision.

Computer speed is folly. The only reason for the need of high-speed PCs is the fact that software has become so huge and inefficient that it takes large hard drives, a lot of RAM and high processor speed to run it. Except for the glitz of WYSIWYG and such other superfulous bells and whistles, my WordStar 3.3 word processor ran just as fast on a 4MHz, MS-DOS, dual 5.25" floppy, no HDD, 640KB RAM machine as my current obese word processing program does on this hp Pavilion (and with fewer glitches). With the exception of some math-intensive programs such as a full-blown version of AutoCAD/AutoSHADE, speed only compensates for programming laziness. The devil is behind it all.

Dean

The evil devil software gets many updates and new features but they leave all the old junk in the new versions!
If they spent a few man-years to clean out all the old junk then the software would be much smaller and more efficient.

I slimmed-down my WIN98 by deleting drivers for thousands of peripherals that I never heard of. Then my old 486-100MHz pc ran pretty quick. :lol:

I dunno, my PC running Linux is exptreamly optimised, not alot of CRUD code flying around.

Then again I also run Gentoo further stripping out unrelated code

Long live the Penguin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…