Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pc Speed Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
audioguru said:
akg said:
My P4 1.8G took 3m32S at 'below normal' priority :)
Aren't you the boss for your pc? Or does it tell you what it is going to do?
Y u asked So..??

Since if run normaly it will eat up all cpu power and i could not do my work smoothly . so i lowered it's priority little

That is extremely fast! Laughing
Do you have two processors?
Overclocked at 4.8GHz?

kinda. i have 1 processor with 2 cores (i guess). havent really looked in the case (dad's computer). 8)

I tried in my friends computer (AMD64 X2) which is dual core.
it takes 1m 34s same as my computer with single core.

when i looked at the task manager of his computer, the cpu usage is only 50%. I think the programe is not optimized for dual core processor.

guestn6600 said:
I tried in my friends computer (AMD64 X2) which is dual core.
it takes 1m 34s same as my computer with single core.

when i looked at the task manager of his computer, the cpu usage is only 50%. I think the programe is not optimized for dual core processor.
Yes it is a single threaded application , so not much use in multi core machines

I had a lot of programs running when my pc ran the speed test. I didn't try the programs while it was calculating pi.
I repeated the test with nothing else running and it was a little slower, snooze time. :lol:

aside from superpi,i use also prime95 to check if my proc is stable if i OC'ed, esp. prescott cpu...

solidhelix said:
aside from superpi,i use also prime95 to check if my proc is stable if i OC'ed, esp. prescott cpu...
I guess "OC'ed" means you overclocked it. I wouldn't dare to overclock my processor. I figure that since Intel rated it at only (!) 2.93GHz then it is probably a lazy 3.0GHZ one that didn't quite make it. I don't want to bother with liquid nitrogen to cool it.
How do you cool yours?

Dean Huster said:
Now see how long it takes your computer to come up with a practical real-life application for needing "pi" beyond ten decimal places. Ancient Egypt existed on the basis of "pi" = 22/7, a gross approximation. If I need it, I just look it up in a book I have where it's listed to 100,000 decimal places -- still pointless.

Agree with ya..
For those who have been through university math & EE coursework, even a book reference isn't needed. Burned in brain to 5 digits. Along with SQRT(2), SQRT(3), 1/ (each of those)

Oh yeah, can't forget 4*ARCTAN(1) written out as an infinite sum.

audioguru said:
Hi Guys,
I found a little program that calculates pi to umpteen digits of accuracy.
When I select 2M from its upper left, my Pentium4-2.97GHz pc finishes in 1 minute, 43 seconds.
Challenge! :lol:

I got 1 min 53 seconds on my laptop

Optikon said:
Dean Huster said:
Now see how long it takes your computer to come up with a practical real-life application for needing "pi" beyond ten decimal places. Ancient Egypt existed on the basis of "pi" = 22/7, a gross approximation. If I need it, I just look it up in a book I have where it's listed to 100,000 decimal places -- still pointless.

Agree with ya..
For those who have been through university math & EE coursework, even a book reference isn't needed. Burned in brain to 5 digits. Along with SQRT(2), SQRT(3), 1/ (each of those)

Oh yeah, can't forget 4*ARCTAN(1) written out as an infinite sum.

Lets see which of those I know, I know sqrt(2) and sqrt(2)/2, the taylor expansion of e, the exponential identities of cos, sin, cosh, and sinh. I have no idea what the inifite sum of arctan(1)*4 is. Have you ever tried to prove e^(i*theta) = cos(theta) + i*sin(theta)? Thats a good proof.

audioguru said:
solidhelix said:
I guess "OC'ed" means you overclocked it. I wouldn't dare to overclock my processor. I figure that since Intel rated it at only (!) 2.93GHz then it is probably a lazy 3.0GHZ one that didn't quite make it. I don't want to bother with liquid nitrogen to cool it.
How do you cool yours?
little bit overclocking can be done by manipulating the clock multiplier/FSB speed. and u have to check the stability of the system by running cpu intensive task..to adjust the overclocked speed.. slight overclocking won't hurt much :)

I am actually concidering underclocking my PC

Why? Well I am going to build a new one soon (mainly for gaming, compiling Gentoo and Simulation) and I want a nice fast process and lots-o-RAM

My present computer has been upgraded alot over the last 4years but a complete re-build is needed.

When I get my new PC I will use my old part and build a file-server, Wireless router, Apache server and firewall (all Linux)

Since CPU isnt that much of a requirement (it is a 2.4Gig) I want to underclock it to 2Gig so it doesn't need as much cooling fans (want to make it quieter) and use less power

akg said:
audioguru said:
solidhelix said:
How do you cool yours?
little bit overclocking can be done by manipulating the clock multiplier/FSB speed. and u have to check the stability of the system by running cpu intensive task..to adjust the overclocked speed.. slight overclocking won't hurt much :)
well audioguru, ln2 cooling isn't necessary if you are OC'ing under 1ghz, a good heatsink and a monster fan is sufficient for oc'ing, and also a good oc'ing board and psu is a must...

and yes it is important to check if your cpu is stable if you oc'ed it esp. under heavy load conditions. that is why i used prime95 to check my system if it is stable. you can also use superpi.

I want to underclock it to 2Gig so it doesn't need as much cooling fans (want to make it quieter) and use less power

you can try removing fans and dipping whole pc in vegetable oil
**broken link removed**

my P4M2 scored 1'56" while running tons of other things. will try later to see how long it really takes.

Your 1m 32 sec is pretty fast. Look at HELP. It took a Pentium 90 more than an hour running Win95. My old 486/100 might have been quicker.

I tried my P4 2.97GHz again with lots of programs running. 1 minute and 48 seconds. I heard the fans speed up as it was crunching the numbers for 2 Million decimal places. I haven't defragged for a long time, maybe it is quicker if I do.

3m13s on AMD Duron 1600. . . just enough time to go make a coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back