Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Popular Hobbyist Transistor Types

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Scott

Hi All.

There are certain junction transistor type numbers that are popular with hobbyists and the industry in general. ie: these very popular and inexpensive:

2N3904 NPN 40V
2N3906 PNP 40V
2N4401 NPN 40V higher current
2N3055 NPN power, low quality, old tech, low frequency
2N2955 PNP power, low............................................
2N3773 NPN good quality power >100V
TIP31C, TIP41C, TIP42C TO-220 case NPN and PNP power, bulletproof

I would like to know what popular small signal transistor types are commonly used at 60V, 80V and 100V for greater and less than 100mA, preferably in TO-92 or similar plastic packages?
For you guys in Europe, what types do you use? BCXX types? I am not familiar with the European or UK popular type numbers.

Thanks

Last edited:
I like the BC548 because it's high gain and the saturation voltage is specified with a forced beta of 20 which is useful for driving large loads with low base currents.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/03/bc548-1.pdf

The BC338 is also good for a similar reason, the beta is 60 with a collector current of 300mA and a collector emitter voltage of 1V and will saturate pretty well at higher currents with a forced beta of 30.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/GeneralSemiconductor/mXtwuqt.pdf

Bump!

Thanks Hero!

Anyone else? Or should I just go to the Maplin web site to see what Brits, French, Dutch and Germans are using?

BTW, anywhere else besides Maplin?

[Edit] Maplin doesn't have much at all, and no high freq PNP, no Pch JFET..........

Last edited:
There are lots of other suppliers: RS Components, Farnell and Rapid Electronics are the most common ones over here.

Digi-Key too. Just small talk: Last time I emailed 'em about magnetic compass sensors KMZ51 and they replied that they don't sell 'em anymore. I'm so disappointed. That's the end of KMZ51.

Hehee. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back