power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpj111

I want to construct a power supply circuit to produce 12V DC.
In put is 60V AC. Need to be supply at least 10A.
Could you please healp me to find such circuit.

Many thanks in advance.

The 12v 10a output part is easy, there are many circuits on the web to do this function.

The difficult bit is the 60v input. That is a strange voltage, where is it coming from? What is the frequency?

JimB

I would have thought a switch-mode solution would be required?, otherwise to produce 120W output you need 600W input, and you've got 480W of heat to get rid of!.

But as already mentioned, the 60V seems rather unusual? - assuming it's a mains transformer you already happen to have?, then just buy a new more suitable transformer.

I have 60V ac transformer in handy. That is why I need regulator to produce 12V Dc from this.

Actually This is what I want. There is transformer which produce 40V ac and 40Vdc. This seems to be faulty. I want to replace it with my 60V ac transformer which I have already.
I have a circuit to produce 12V from 40Vdc ( it has big heat zink) . Is it possible to use same circuit with 60V ac.
Much appreciated if you can help me to find few circuits for this purpose.

Last edited:

It's 'possible', but far too expensive, buy a proper transformer instead! - it will be much cheaper.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I must be because nobody has mentioned this seemingly simple slution:
Why not use a 120VAC - 24VAC transformer? When the input voltage is lowered to 60VAC, the output will lower to 12VAC. Then just use a bridge n filtering caps to get DC. I'm assuming it's 50/60hz?

Hi Zach,
Good idea but the math is incorrect.
12VAC has a peak voltage of 17.0V. A full-wave bridge rectifier will drop 1.4V to 2.0 leaving 15VDC or more at the filter capacitor. 10VAC from the transformer would give slightly more than 12VDC but a 120V to 20V transformer is hard to find.

Can I do it in this way. I have a transformer to produce 60V ac. If I used a rectifire to make it DC, how much would it be. Does it produce around 50V DC. Then I can use same regulator (from 40 dc to 12V) with few modification such as using a resistor to drop down the input to 40V DC.

Will this works.

No, it will produce around 90V DC.

You're NOT LISTENING THOUGH - BUY THE CORRECT TRANSFORMER, it's by FAR the cheapest and most sensible method!.

Buy an off the shelf universal switched mode power supply (one that'll run off 90VAC to 260VAC) with a 12V 10A output and connect a diode voltage doubler to the input (all universal SMPS can safely run off 130V to 370VDC as the AC goes through a rectifier on the input stage). If you don't fancy building a voltage doubler then use a 120V/230V to 60V transformer and use the 60V secondary as a primary.

Last edited:
mpj111 said:
I want to construct a power supply circuit to produce 12V DC.
In put is 60V AC. Need to be supply at least 10A.
Could you please healp me to find such circuit.

Many thanks in advance.

you may use a high power light dimmer in input of 60 volt transformer to reduse voltage & power dasipation then build a 12V dc 10A power supply

How?

That wouldn't work, a light dimmer doesn't alter the voltage it just switches the power on at a set point in the AC cycle, in fact a it will generate harmonics which will actually increase the power dissipation in the transformer and you'll also end up with a dead dimmer as it won't like the inductive transformer as a load.

that is true with no load whatsever. good luck trying to get 10A AT PEAK ANYTHING. .639 LOOKS LIKE A GOOD NUMBER TO ME

raybo said:
that is true with no load whatsever. good luck trying to get 10A AT PEAK ANYTHING.
The transformer's RMS output voltage is rated at its full output current. Its voltage is higher without a load due to its internal resistance.
A cheap low power wall-wart adapter has a little transformer with so much resistance that its voltage doubles without a load and its peak voltage is squashed and looks clipped on a 'scope when it is rectified, filtered and loaded.

Now transformer is ok. It supposed to produce 40V. But when I check with a meter it produce around 31V DC. But I belive it is ok.
Now I want to make the circuit to produce 12V DC out of it,

I will post the circuit next. Please let me know it is right circuit or any draw backs.

Now transformer is ok. It supposed to produce 40V. But when I check with a meter it produce around 31V DC. But I belive it is ok.
Now I want to make the circuit to produce 12V DC out of it,

I will post the circuit next. Please let me know it is right circuit or any draw backs.

Attachments

• ma-v regulate.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 132

mpj111,

We've already given you two possible solutions but you don't listen!

EITHER:
BUY THE RIGHT TRANSFROMER

OR

USE A SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY RUN FROM A STEP UP TRANSFORMER OR DOUBLER.

If you don't understand then ASK!

yes u are right. but i practicaly see it works! actualy when i aplied ruduced sharp
cut cycle in input of a middle size transformer it generate harmonics that is one problem but we solve it by insart a small inductor in serise line and realy it works and no power dissipation for harmonics.This technique is odd but chep.

But you'll destroy the dimmer as it isn't designed to switch an inductive load like a transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…